This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

profile evaluation for phd

by muhammad usman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 am
hi stacy,
i am planning to apply for phd business program
my profile:
program; PhD finance
undergrad (2 years) from Pakistan in mathematics and statistics with all the major courses including calculus, linear and complex algebra, linear and non linear differential eqs., probability and probability distributions and inferential statistics etc.
results: (gold medal with 89% marks in undergrad)
second topper in MBA from Pakistan with 5-6 courses in finance with GPA 3.94/5
gmat scores;
1st attempt; 690(51,30,3)
2nd attempt; 730(50,37,3.5)
area pf interest; mathematics and probability
one year teaching experience at he univ form where i graduated.
reasons to pursue PhD are my interest in research and selection of academic field as a profession.
the weak point in my application is lack research experience, lower rank of university(BZU) of previous degrees, and letter of recommendations from professors that are not world renowned. keeping these in mind , where do you think i stand right now and what are my realistic options.
i need expert advice
thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:39 pm
Dear Muhammad,

PhD applicants are evaluated differently from MBA applicants, so I don't know that I will be of much help. You will want to make sure your degrees meet any academic requirements, so you might consider having them evaluated by a professional credentialing service if you have questions or start to get questions from the schools you apply to. Your academics appear to be strong, which is a critical component in the evaluation. Likewise, you have your area of interest narrowed which is also critical. Beyond that, I do not know much more about PhD admissions. Perhaps there are other folks with more in depth knowledge of PhD admissions that have some additional advice?

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me