107/120 Toefl

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

107/120 Toefl

by camilaross » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 am
Okay... So I promised I'd share my experience, here it goes.

First of all, I didn't do as well as I thought I would. I was hoping for more than a 107 but, oh well. The University I'm applying for requires a 94 so, I'm good. But, I'm a little disappointed in the Test Center and the noise and distraction. I feel that that is the main reason why I didn't do better. Boo hoo.

The test is exactly like the one you purchase online. I mean it, EXACTLY like it. The only thing you have to account for is the LOUD NOISE of everyone around you. Everyone has headphones on, and everyone pretty much shouts when doing the speaking part, (and I'm not exaggerating) which is at different times for each individual.

So, here you are trying to read a text and answer the questions while your neighbor is shouting because they are on the speaking part. Very highly annoying. I'm not sure how the test centers are internationally, I took this test in the USA but, if the conditions of the test centers around the world are the same as in the USA, it sucks!

I also want to point out that my only preparation was: 1 - taking the online paid test and 2 - reading Dana's post on the written essays. So, I didn't study at all. I'm sure if I had, I would have scored higher. That just shows how easy the test really is.

Okay... so here's a little piece of advice:

1 - Don't be annoyed with the test center, your attitude will change how you do on the test.

2 - If you have good verbal fluency and good writing skills, it may not be enough (as you can see in my case). You should still study and get a good feel for the test

3 - Connectors on your speaking and writing are EXTREMELY important. I think I got "dinged" for not using the proper connectors or not being very clear with the connectors. So if you have limited time, at least you can go over some connectors you would like to use and why.

4 - This is an easy test, but it's still a test. Make sure when you study, you study with noise and see if you will lose your concentration. If you will, you might not do to well. Get used to the loud noise and the distracting things and learn now to tune them out. Trust me, that will help you a ton if you ever test in a center that was like mine. And maybe your test center is better, but if it's not, then you will not have a problem.

I gues that's it..... good luck to everyone taking the test!

by GMAT680 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:50 am
Camilaross,

Thanks for your debrief. I have test on April 9. I am trying to familiarize myself with the test format and I think that is all I need for the preparation. and of course getting used to noises.

As a rule of thumb I am taking all my gmat prep tests at the library to mimic the test environment but someone speaking next to you for 10 minutes or so could be a real distraction.

Congrats on your score.

by camilaross » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 am
GMAT680 - If you are already hammering the GMAT, you should do fine on the TOEFL, for sure!!! Good luck and tell us how it goes. I think you should pay the $40 to take the online simulation test and then just familiarize yourself with the written and verbal connectors, they don't give you a lot of time to think before you need to start speaking so, if you already have in mind some that you can use, you'll ACE it.

by GMAT680 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:16 pm
Thanks Much. I will absolutely buy the simulation test.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:41 pm
Hey I'm so happy you decided to contribute to our forum!

Congrats on the score - it's above even the cutoff for Harvard Business School (105), so if anyone rejects you based on this score, they're complete idiots and you should not bother with them.

I'm also glad you shared your impressions regarding the online test, since I haven't had the opportunity to take it...

I wish you all the best with your applications - maybe you can let us know what you do in the other parts of the forum!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:670

by Vitalina » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:12 am
Congrats on your score! How long did you wait from the test date til when you got the results?

by camilaross » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:11 pm
The scores are available online in 2 weeks.

by GMAT680 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:42 pm
camilaross,

How do you compare the test difficult with the one that comes with book purchase. It has two sample exams with explanation. Do you thing the $44.95 exam is similar to the one the is available with the book?

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:57 pm
Thanks Camila for sharing this debrief!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school