Quick question for a USC Marshall student...

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Quick question for a USC Marshall student...

by SubieRX » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:57 pm
I am planning on applying to Marshall this year, and I have attended an info session and a class visit. Everyone seems to stress the prevalence of "family culture" and "open-door" policies... but I just wanted to hear it from someone other than a student ambassador or staff.

Is Marshall cutthroat at all? I, of course, expect to experience competition at any top business school, but... how collaborative would you say your fellow classmates are overall?

Is there really an open door policy for professors? How easy is it to speak with them outside of class time?

Thanks all! I believe USC is my choice program, but I just wanted a little bit of insider info.
710 (Q47,V40)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by uscHP » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Hey Subie,

I'm currently a first year in the Marshall MBA program and I can say that I had the exact same questions you currently have.

The Trojan network is definitely SC's most valuable asset and the sense of community is felt from day 1. Everything that you've heard regarding the extensive networks that Marshall reaches in to is very true. What sets the networking apart is that the people are willing to go out of their way to help a fellow Trojan.

Regarding the "open-door" policies, the faculty and staff are very accessible. Besides having standard office hours and distributing contact info, many of the professors come before and after classes and talk to students regarding any questions they may have. For example, my group and I approached a professor last week regarding a competition we're entering and she was more than happy to set aside time for us to pick her brain and get some feedback.

The competition if definitely there and the course work can be challenging, however, everyone in the program is very positive and supportive and helps you get through it.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Han

SubieRX wrote:I am planning on applying to Marshall this year, and I have attended an info session and a class visit. Everyone seems to stress the prevalence of "family culture" and "open-door" policies... but I just wanted to hear it from someone other than a student ambassador or staff.

Is Marshall cutthroat at all? I, of course, expect to experience competition at any top business school, but... how collaborative would you say your fellow classmates are overall?

Is there really an open door policy for professors? How easy is it to speak with them outside of class time?

Thanks all! I believe USC is my choice program, but I just wanted a little bit of insider info.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by SubieRX » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:17 am
uscHP,

Thanks for your reply!

You've validated my overall experiences with USC and I'm even more excited about my application. I'll be submitting it this weekend, and I can only hope my qualifications are sufficient to gain admission in Round 3.

I hope things go well for you the rest of this year, and next (Man, bschool is so short. I bet time flies). I hope to be joining you next year. Wish me luck!

uscHP wrote:Hey Subie,

I'm currently a first year in the Marshall MBA program and I can say that I had the exact same questions you currently have.

The Trojan network is definitely SC's most valuable asset and the sense of community is felt from day 1. Everything that you've heard regarding the extensive networks that Marshall reaches in to is very true. What sets the networking apart is that the people are willing to go out of their way to help a fellow Trojan.

Regarding the "open-door" policies, the faculty and staff are very accessible. Besides having standard office hours and distributing contact info, many of the professors come before and after classes and talk to students regarding any questions they may have. For example, my group and I approached a professor last week regarding a competition we're entering and she was more than happy to set aside time for us to pick her brain and get some feedback.

The competition if definitely there and the course work can be challenging, however, everyone in the program is very positive and supportive and helps you get through it.

Han
710 (Q47,V40)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:15 am
how valuable is the network outside of California?
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

by uscHP » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:53 pm
osirus0830 wrote:how valuable is the network outside of California?
From what I have heard and seen, Marshall has a strong presence across the nation and abroad internationally, specifically in parts of Asia. I can honestly say that Marshall's network is the most valuable within CA; however we do have alumni representing all types of different corporations all across the country.

by uscHP » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:57 pm
Subie, glad I can help.. time is definitely flying by, can't believe I've already been in the program over 6 months now.. Wish you all the best in your application process, let me know if you have any questions!
SubieRX wrote:uscHP,

Thanks for your reply!

You've validated my overall experiences with USC and I'm even more excited about my application. I'll be submitting it this weekend, and I can only hope my qualifications are sufficient to gain admission in Round 3.

I hope things go well for you the rest of this year, and next (Man, bschool is so short. I bet time flies). I hope to be joining you next year. Wish me luck!

uscHP wrote:Hey Subie,

Han

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:58 am
uscHP wrote:
osirus0830 wrote:how valuable is the network outside of California?
From what I have heard and seen, Marshall has a strong presence across the nation and abroad internationally, specifically in parts of Asia. I can honestly say that Marshall's network is the most valuable within CA; however we do have alumni representing all types of different corporations all across the country.
Thanks for the response.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.