stuck on details!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

stuck on details!

by resilient » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:13 am
I am getting better on my main weakness of reading comprehension. MY problem is I noticed that I am losing almost all points to specific detail questions along with inference questions. IS there a place I can go or book I can do to DRILL this into my head. Please let me know and all other comments welcome.
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Community Manager

by pahwa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:50 pm
dude, this is the trap that gmat lay for us.

I refered OG10 and OG11. Here is my way to handle RC

1. Read each pasage, and note down the summary on scratch pad in max 3 words.

2. Note 2 important things in first para: Main point and primary purpose

3. Read ur self-written points again after u have read ur RC, to make them a single idea. As, each RC contains max of 3 para, and for each para, u must have written 3 words, so should take more than a minute to generate a single idea in ur mind.

Doing this you will be able to answer "What role does para play?"

Now, Having done all this, come to ur answer choices, and here is the tips on answer choices:
1. Ignore all harsh/extreme choices. They are always wrong.
2. Ignore chices that are sensitive to minorities.
3. Ignore even the choices that are on positive extreme. Play safe.

If you are non-native, I highly recommend you to read ur passage. If you are native english speaker, you can just run through ur passage.

Hope this will help u. Practice few RCs for OG10 and see.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

query....

by jangojess » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:17 am
what is the level of difficulty of passage that needs to be practiced???
from 1000 RC doc i tried the 1st 30 passages...initial hit rate was pretty less but later on it improved...now when i'm trying the LSAT ones...i'm back to square one....any exam takers please comment based on their experience!!!! Non-native english speakers are most welcome!!!!
Trying hard!!!

Community Manager

by pahwa » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:13 pm
Hey buddy. Let me be very practical in my response. See, if you have time, go ahead with 3000RC link that is available on internet.

But, my suggestion is do not go for 3000RC, as you will be wasting time. If you thing you are godd at English (as you are non-native), there are lot of other ways to improve your reading skills, like read your favourite magazine, daily newspaper.

Do your Princeton, Kaplan, OG10 and OG11 (both are must), Verbal RCs for sure. Now, after doing these, if you feel that you have time left and that you have mastered SC, CR, PS and DS, then go ahead with 3000RC and LSAT.
I did it that way, so just analize yourself first and then follow what you feel is rigyt for you.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

thnx pal...

by jangojess » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:35 pm
thnx dude...i went for the 3000RC coz in initial discussions i've heard that it contains pretty hard essays and practicing them make you prepared for worst in GMAT...neways...i'll go by OG now and reinforce my basics
Trying hard!!!

Community Manager

by pahwa » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:37 pm
sure.
Hey, Just wanted to let you know, in what sequence you should follow (rather the sequence I followed)

1. Princeton (easy)
2. Kaplan (level is higher than Princeton)
3. Verbal supplement.
4. OG10
5. OG11 (Surprised to see that OG 10 has more number of questions than OG11)

6. Tests and Kaplan 800.

But for your AWA, I guess first 2 books are more than sufficient.