Kindly evaluate my profile

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kindly evaluate my profile

by ravipilani » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 am
Hi,

Thanks in advance for whoever can comment on my profile and suggest me next steps.

Name: Ravi Pilani

Fulltime work experience: 85 months (by August 2011) in Edelweiss Capital, a prominent financial services firm in India; 2.5 years as a derivatives sales trader; balance as an investment banker focusing on M&A advisory. 5 transactions successfully closed so far.
Background Workex: Have a family business. Revenue of Rs.2bn. Listed on stock exchange. Have worked in the business for 8 years prior to working with Edelweiss. (Please note i graduated in 2004. Worked in family biz since school and throughout college. Have handled prestigious government contracts and started company in UAE to do import-export of specific items)

Education: Bachelors in Management Studies (BMS) from Mumbai University with distinction.
Diploma in Business Finance from ICFAI university
June 2010 candidate for Level 3 American CFA
Schooling from Jamnabai Narsee

Extracuricular: trained Salsa, Jive and Waltz dancer. Have performed live shows for audiences above 5,000.

GMAT Score: 690, M 50, V 33

I am mainly looking to get through to Ivy league.. obvious top choices are Wharton, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, and Sloan. Other schools I want to look at are London Business School and INSEAD.

Regards,
Ravi
and once agian... thanks in advance!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ravipilani » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:03 pm
Dear Stacey, Awaiting your reply...

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54 am
Hi Ravi,

Your profile seems quite solid. I think the mix of experience as a trader combined with your family business exposure make for an interesting profile. It's also great to see that you have a passion, dancing, and enjoy participating in performances. Dancing requires a lot of discipline and teamwork both of which make this a great potential essay topic!

If I were to suggest you focus on one thing it would be to retake the GMAT. While a 690 is a good score, it's not on par with the average GMAT scores at the institutions on your list. I suggest retaking it this summer with a goal of 700+. Just breaking the 700 thresh hold will help.

Best,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.