130 Point Drop from Last GMATPrep to Real GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
First I want to thank everyone on these forums for their help and information. While I registered today, I have frequently visited these forums and valued much of the advice.

I finished taking the GMAT a couple of hours ago and scored a 550 (Q.36, V.29). I prepared using a Princeton Review tutor (who was very helpful!), Princeton Review Manual, Princeton Review online material, OG 12, Kaplan Verbal workbook, and MGMAT SC. I started preparing in early January and had put all of my focus toward this exam. My previous practice tests:

Princeton Review CAT #1 - 490 (q.29, v.30) - Jan. 11
Princeton Review CAT #2 - 580 (q.40, v.30) - Jan 28
Princeton Review CAT #3 - 640 (q.45, v.34) - Feb. 8
GMAT Prep #1 - 640 (q.39, v.38) - Feb. 15
Princeton Review CAT #4 - 650 (q.43, v.37) - Feb. 22
GMAT Prep #2 - 680 (q.41, v.41) - Feb. 25

Real GMAT - 550 (q.36, v. 29) - Today

I am quite upset with my score as I feel I should have done much better. While my math score was lower than expected, it is the verbal that really annoys me. I have never received lower than a 30 on a verbal practice test (including the first one!) - VERY surprised I received such a low score. Also - I read that the GMAT Prep test is supposed to have a standard deviation of 30...which means my score was over 4 standard deviations away from my last test prep!! I can't figure out what went wrong.

I want to retake the exam in a month, however I really have no idea how to study for it. I don't know where to focus my studying. I figure if I continue to take practice exams (perhaps try MGMAT tests?), it is likely I could score well and still have a poor exam result in a month.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions on how to study over the next month? Thank you for your help.

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:48 am
How did you feel when you were taking the test? Were you nervous? Were you thinking about previous questions? Were you just wiped out once you got to the verbal section and had trouble concentrating?

by CalGMAT » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:16 am
I believe I had some level of text anxiety, but overall felt well. I had a good nights rest and healthy meals. I felt the quant section was more difficult than I was used to, but thought it went all right. I was more confident on the verbal section during the exam. I thought I was getting most of them right. I have no idea what went wrong which makes studying for a retake difficult. I don't know what to concentrate my efforts on now.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by mjgoldste » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:15 pm
Hello,

I am off to teach in a little while myself but I wanted to write an initial response to your post and hopefully I'll have opportunity to write again hereafter. First and foremost, congratulations on your initial score with the 550. As odd as that probably sounds to hear, hear it out: up to the point that you get the score you want, any score you get is just a diagnostic test. So treat your 550 as another practice exam and begin to prepare yourself for the next test. Moreover, you're not floundering in the 30th percentile with a 550--you can go up if you work intelligently and efficiently.

My questions for you are the following:

1) Did you make an effort to consistently review concepts and problems that were giving you trouble? Did you work hard to make sure that you understood those problems independently? Something that I've often noticed with private tutors is that you get used to doing a lot of your work with someone right nearby. Obviously, no one has that luxury on the test itself, but that often causes students to take their foot off the gas a bit when practicing. More importantly, you obviously have an understanding of the basic concepts--how about ones that don't come up so regularly on the exam?

2) I haven't heard much to say that Princeton Review tests are all that great, though I might just not be asking the right people. I've heard a lot of support for the Official Guide problems (because 1) they're real questions and 2) they're as realistic as it gets). Did you try studying with the OG's ever, especially the OG Quant and Verbal guides? They're terrific. Also, if you're looking for additional materials, check out Manhattan GMAT's practice exams. You can get a subscription to their entire online stockade for less than $75 and that's basically all I used to study (700 score on real GMAT).

My recommendation is this: spend 45 minutes each night going through a problem set and then spend the next 45 minutes really hammering on the problems you got wrong. Make sure you know those concepts cold. The easiest way to do this is with MGMAT's online materials--their answers are comprehensive and they really, really walk you through each response step by step to show why it's right or wrong. Then, at the end of each week, take a practice exam. You already seem to be monitoring your progress, which is great, but make sure you're really bearing down on the things that give you trouble.

Also, when did you schedule your test? I find it's best to take my exams toward the end of the work week (Weds, Thurs, Fri) early in the business day. That way, I'm fresh, ready to roll, and don't have anything to distract me from the office.

Good luck!

Michal

by CalGMAT » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:42 pm
Hi Michal - thank you for your reply, advice, and thoughts.

I will continue to work hard over the next month to understand problems independently. I believe that my tutor was there more to help explain problems I didn't understand, however I can appreciate how tutors may cause a dependency among students. Will keep this in mind over the coming weeks.

In regards to the OG - yes, I used the OG 12th edition quite a bit. As I look to develop a new strategy before taking the exam again, I am looking for new practice problems...I believe I have looked through most of the OG problems by now. I have now purchased the OG Quant and Verbal guides for additional practice before taking the exam again. I have access to the Manhatten GMAT practice exams, but not the additional practice problems. Do you believe the online material for 75 dollars is worth it? What does it provide? I will look into this.

Thank you again for your help going forward. My biggest concern is that because I received 680 on the GMATPrep, yet only received a 550 on the real exam, I may still continue to do well on practice exams and not do well on the real test date. I will use the strategies you outlined to help overcome this. Thank you again!

by mhunibongo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:32 am
Pliz take heart go back and redo it coz I think these things also depend with the mood and may be some luck and Gods help. I also now believe that finishing your test is very important. I have never got 600 on a legitimate practice test here is my history as far as i can remember
GMATPREP 1 550
Kaplan CATs never exceeded 550
Manhatan free CAT 590
GMAT PREP2 590(had some repeated questions coz I did Prep 1 three times)

Today I did my GMAT and got 650 (V 42 Q39) the diffrence is I actually finished both sections so I would urge you to go back and do it and ensure you finish the questions any imposible question guess well and move on coz finishing is key. As for me I am contemplating whether to wait next year and apply to a second teer school rather than the fourth teer i was aiming for

by CalGMAT » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:41 am
mhunibongo - Congratulations! You must be quite pleased with your performance - as you should be! You have given me hope and motivation to retake the exam. Best of luck to you.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by mjgoldste » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:58 pm
No prob bob. I reread my post and realized it came off as a bit pedantic but f'reals, don't let the 'MAT get you down. I'm glad to hear you used the OG a lot--again, I only advocate using MGMAT's materials because I used them to great effect myself, but I haven't heard anything consistent about Princeton/Kaplan's stuff.

What I will say is that, yes, it's totally worth the $75 for MGMAT's materials. It sounds a little expensive--6 practice tests and 8 practice batteries, but here's the deal. Those practice exams are culled from 1200 questions so you can retake them and keep getting new questions each time. Plus, their challenge problems are mad hard and, most importantly, they walk you through the problems step by careful step to make sure that you get the information you need to answer any question by the end.

Also, since you've been using OG materials, it's worth it to invest in the MGMAT ones because 1) they're very realistic and 2) MGMAT's a GMAT-only company, and as such, they invest like crazy in their materials to make them the best.
CalGMAT wrote:Hi Michal - thank you for your reply, advice, and thoughts.

In regards to the OG - yes, I used the OG 12th edition quite a bit. As I look to develop a new strategy before taking the exam again, I am looking for new practice problems...I believe I have looked through most of the OG problems by now. I have now purchased the OG Quant and Verbal guides for additional practice before taking the exam again. I have access to the Manhatten GMAT practice exams, but not the additional practice problems. Do you believe the online material for 75 dollars is worth it? What does it provide? I will look into this.

Thank you again for your help going forward. My biggest concern is that because I received 680 on the GMATPrep, yet only received a 550 on the real exam, I may still continue to do well on practice exams and not do well on the real test date. I will use the strategies you outlined to help overcome this. Thank you again!