Idiom question

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Idiom question

by wonderland130 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:17 am
I was on a gmat club test that asked you to select the correct idiom.

The answer below is the third item. In this case internet and direct media channel are nouns so i thought like was acceptable. I am a native english speaker so the third one did "sound" the best but can someone clarify this rule? Thanks

Sponsors increasingly use the Internet like a direct media channel to customers.
Sponsors increasingly use the Internet to be a direct media channel to customers.
Sponsors increasingly use the Internet as a direct media channel to customers.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by bpgen » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:35 am
I could say, answer could be 2nd/3rd option, Note that there is no such comparison made, it's just amplifying / modifying 'internet'
2. Making 'Internet' to be a direct media, looks good.
3. Making 'Internet' to be more specific as 'direct media'
"Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in."

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:36 am
wonderland130 wrote:I was on a gmat club test that asked you to select the correct idiom.
imo definitely internet and direct media are nouns , but does the s/c is comparing those nouns ans is no
the s/c is saying how the sponsors uses the internet......
and the correct form of ans is they use internet as direct media channel to customers

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:07 pm
wonderland130 wrote:I was on a gmat club test that asked you to select the correct idiom.

The answer below is the third item. In this case internet and direct media channel are nouns so i thought like was acceptable. I am a native english speaker so the third one did "sound" the best but can someone clarify this rule? Thanks

Sponsors increasingly use the Internet like a direct media channel to customers.
Sponsors increasingly use the Internet to be a direct media channel to customers.
Sponsors increasingly use the Internet as a direct media channel to customers.
The correct idiom is Use X as Y...
so answer should be 3rd option...