Doubt regarding "which"

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Doubt regarding "which"

by abhi332 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:08 am
I have taken following sentence from NewYork times,

""Ms. Pelosi dismissed the criticism on Thursday that Democrats had not lived up to their promise to sweep away a culture of corruption on Capitol Hill. She also noted that she had established an outside group to receive complaints about members of Congress, which could be easily referred to the House ethics committee. ""

I had read that "which" can only refer to things also noun before the "which"should be as close as possible.

In above sentence closest noun to "which" is the "congress" also it's not a thing.

Please help me know what I am missing.
What you think, you become.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:11 am
abhi332 wrote:I have taken following sentence from NewYork times,

""Ms. Pelosi dismissed the criticism on Thursday that Democrats had not lived up to their promise to sweep away a culture of corruption on Capitol Hill. She also noted that she had established an outside group to receive complaints about members of Congress, which could be easily referred to the House ethics committee. ""

I had read that "which" can only refer to things also noun before the "which"should be as close as possible.

In above sentence closest noun to "which" is the "congress" also it's not a thing.

Dear Abhi,
here "which" refers to "complaints" .

Complaints is very much a Noun.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by iamcste » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:45 am
abhi332 wrote:I have taken following sentence from NewYork times,

Caveat: dont mug "which" and its popular usages, there are many exceptions..Infact, many a times "which" is a clearly laid trap...yes most popular concept tested is "which" v/s "present participle" modifier....

what I do is before looking at the noun that comes before "which", I usally check whether the noun is a part of the phrase that in turn describes some other noun, in such cases "which" is actually describes the noun which is being described..Follow this to your example and you will see that which actually refers to complaints...so now add an extra check while applying usage of which as an immediate preceding noun modifier.

HTH