710 with huge split (Q 42 / V 44) - Should I take it again??

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies

Should I take it again?

For sure - you have nothing to lose!
35%
No way - move on with your life!
65%

Total votes: 20

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I took the GMAT for the first time last Thursday (2/25), and got my official score today:

Q42 / V44 / AWA 5.5 = 710 (92nd Percentile)

My target was the magical 700 barrier so I am happy with the overall number but I am concerned that my relatively low Quant percentile might keep me out of my target school, UCLA (FEMBA). I'm also a bit disappointed because on my last practice test I scored a 720 with a 47/42, which gave me a Quant score that was in the 79th percentile as opposed to the 62nd I got on the actual test.

I have demonstrated some strong quant skills in my undergrad (Econ - 3.5 GPA), got A's and B+'s in Calculus, Corporate Finance and Econometrics and even passed the AP Calc Test with a 4 in High School, if that means anything (I know, probably not). I've also worked as an analyst / underwriter of large construction companies for a Fortune 100 insurance company for the past five years.

Do you guys think I should take the test again to see if I can pull my Quant score up? I know that my limit is probably right around 47, but I think I'd feel a lot better about my application if I could break the 70th percentile mark in Quant. Am I being too paranoid about this? Thanks in advance to anyone who offers some input.

Also, for anyone who is curious I took a class with ManhattanGMAT and used their materials in conjunction with the OG material. I would absolutely recommend Manhattan, but I also don't have anything to compare them to. But I am confident that my 80 point improvement was due in large part to their material and the study plan that they outline. It's definitely not an overnight solution, but for people who are willing to work hard and stay dedicated, I think they will be very pleased with the results.

Good luck to everyone, and I'll try to respond to anyone who has specific questions.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sunil_snath » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:20 pm
Hi NetQuickObsessed,

Congratulations on your great score. IMO, 710 crosses the median scores of most the top 20 B Schools in the US. So well done.

However, I have heard people on this forum say that some schools ask for over a 80/80 percent split in BOTH sections of the GMAT. So if your target schools need it, I suggest you retake the exam, otherwise dont bother wasting the money, time and effort on this strenuous exam.

So no vote from me :).

Good luck,
Sunil

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 am
NetQuickObsessed wrote:Hi Everyone,

I took the GMAT for the first time last Thursday (2/25), and got my official score today:

Q42 / V44 / AWA 5.5 = 710 (92nd Percentile)

My target was the magical 700 barrier so I am happy with the overall number but I am concerned that my relatively low Quant percentile might keep me out of my target school, UCLA (FEMBA). I'm also a bit disappointed because on my last practice test I scored a 720 with a 47/42, which gave me a Quant score that was in the 79th percentile as opposed to the 62nd I got on the actual test.

I have demonstrated some strong quant skills in my undergrad (Econ - 3.5 GPA), got A's and B+'s in Calculus, Corporate Finance and Econometrics and even passed the AP Calc Test with a 4 in High School, if that means anything (I know, probably not). I've also worked as an analyst / underwriter of large construction companies for a Fortune 100 insurance company for the past five years.

Do you guys think I should take the test again to see if I can pull my Quant score up? I know that my limit is probably right around 47, but I think I'd feel a lot better about my application if I could break the 70th percentile mark in Quant. Am I being too paranoid about this? Thanks in advance to anyone who offers some input.

Also, for anyone who is curious I took a class with ManhattanGMAT and used their materials in conjunction with the OG material. I would absolutely recommend Manhattan, but I also don't have anything to compare them to. But I am confident that my 80 point improvement was due in large part to their material and the study plan that they outline. It's definitely not an overnight solution, but for people who are willing to work hard and stay dedicated, I think they will be very pleased with the results.

Good luck to everyone, and I'll try to respond to anyone who has specific questions.
Your situation is pretty similar to how mine was. I originally scored Q44 V41 690. I decided to take the GMAT again because I wasn't comfortable with that 44 in quant. I would say if you are SURE you can get better than Q44 then go for it. I was scoring Q50 and Q49 on my practice tests, so I was sure I could do better. I ended up with a Q48 V39 710 my second time. Clearly, I neglected the verbal... Just be sure you don't neglect to study verbal if you do decide to take it again.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by C » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:21 am
Hi NetQuickObsessed,

Thank you for posting, and congratulations on beating your target score!

I'm curious, for how long did you study?

If you're confident that you will improve your quant, as your last practice test result implies, and if you can set aside the required time, then I believe you should definetly go the extra mile!

If you have better alternate use of your time - that would improve your overall profile more than the few quant points, I believe you should address that instead.

Good job this far, and good luck with applications!

C

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 pm
I say take it again. Considering your background it seems that you definitely have the Quant skills. If you scored a 710 your first time... I would be surprised if you said that you weren't confident about taking it again. Just take it again in 20 something days... get your Quant score up and then call it a day. Just make sure your score improves. I don't think it would be detrimental to your candidacy if you didn't but if you have the means and the time... might as well.

But like Dmateer25 said, do not neglect verbal. It would be a shame if you scored in the 50's this time in Quant but your verbal score dropped so low still equating to a 710.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:200

by JasLamba » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:40 pm
Hi,

I think your score is good enough and your previous quantitative experiences can also vouch for your ability. If you go to mbapodcaster.com you can find a series of podcasts with regard to the MBA - there you will find some information on how to mitigate "Low" GMAT Quant scores. (Even though your score is good- there is some advice that will be applicable to your case)
Additionally, if you go to the businessweek website - search for keywords: gmat, quant, business school - you will also find additional information on how to deal with your case. (There are a couple of interesting articles)

I think there are more effective solutions to highlight and strengthen your app without having to repeat the same experience and exposing yourself to the risk of potentially not getting the Q XX. Instead, if you deal with the situation through one of the ways suggested in the podcast or the businessweek articles you will be able to expose yourself to less risk and channel your time and energy towards the solution that may differentiate you as a candidate by adding extra value.

Please also understand that I have not been to business school nor have I been successful at taking my GMAT so these are just some thoughts from a layman.

All the best,
Jas

Followed by:1 members

by biker317 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:17 pm
Q 42 / V 44..So Please define HUGE split? aren't the scores almost neck to neck..Did you intedn to break even on the test? Please clarify

Community Manager

by dmateer25 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:07 pm
biker317 wrote:Q 42 / V 44..So Please define HUGE split? aren't the scores almost neck to neck..Did you intedn to break even on the test? Please clarify
Although it appears the scores are balanced, the percentiles are very different.

I assume a Q42 is 62 percentile and that V44 is probably 98 percentile.

by biker317 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:31 pm
Sorry I am being really ignorant here..When someone says Q 42 / V 44..what does it mean? I mean i know there are 41 questions in verbal and 37 in quant..so what are 42 and 44 really out of? and how do they link to the percentiles? Sorry newbie question may be i can be better directed.

thanks

Community Manager

by dmateer25 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:54 pm
biker317 wrote:Sorry I am being really ignorant here..When someone says Q 42 / V 44..what does it mean? I mean i know there are 41 questions in verbal and 37 in quant..so what are 42 and 44 really out of? and how do they link to the percentiles? Sorry newbie question may be i can be better directed.

thanks
Take a look at the website below. It explains the scoring.

https://www.testmasters.net/gmat/Information/scale.aspx

by biker317 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:50 pm
thanks much appreciated..didn't intend to steer the thread offtopic