I fought the gmat and the gmat won -

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

I fought the gmat and the gmat won -

by cccmom » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:43 pm
i just took the GMAT today for the 3rd time since November. The exciting news was my math went up from 17 to 36, but my verbal went down from 33 to 24! I just don't get it. If my verbal would have stayed at the 33, I believe I would have had my 550, but it didn't work quite that way! Anyhow, my overall score was 510 and I need at least a 550. I should be happy, because I took the test about a month ago and got a 440, but it was disappointing, to not yet be where I need to be. I have been working so hard and sacrificing so much of my life for studying.

I really don't know what else to do. I have taken 2 PowerScore weekend classes and have worked with a math tutor. Obviously, the math tutor helped tremendously! I have bought and worked through several prep books and have also bought GMAT Power Pill. Although, it apparently didn't help since my verbal score went down. I am looking into the Knewton program, but am hesitant to fork out more money for yet another test program. They are so new and have very little data about their results.

I work full time, have 3 kids, and have been studying aggressively since August! I have done my best and have fallen short. I am just at a point where I feel like I have done all I can and I have no clue what to do for the next steps. Giving up is not an option!

I should add that I have been sorely disappointed with the lack of follow up with PowerScore and GMAT Pill. The GMAT pill guy never even answered my emails, even though he promises he will get back with questions. PowerScore sometimes gets back with questions and sometime does not. I can't move forward with my doctorate (I already have my MBA) until I get my score up. I just don't know what to do, which program to pick, where to get help. I guess I just have to lick my wounds, pray for direction, and study some more. If anyone has been in a similar boat and has any suggestions that have worked for you, I'd love to hear your story.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Creative2MBA » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:57 am
Hugs,(((((((((((( CCCMom)))))))))))))))!!!!!!!

First exhale and inhale with 10, slow, deep, calming breaths......really, close your eyes and take your hands off the keyboard and inhale deeply, quietly strongly.................

Even though you feel panicky and nervous/disappointed right now, try and reframe it so you can move forward, okay? I know it hurts and it's really, really hard. I've been studying since October '09 and realized yesterday I've only scratched the surface in prep for this hellacious beast of a forking test! So you are not alone in your feelings nor frustrations! There's many of us here who are in the same boat! It's OKAY! xoxo

Look, the GMAT HAS to be this hard for it to mean anything and be able to work for everyone in a standardized way. The test makers MUST protect the integrity of the test. I believe that they purposefully guard with a vengeance the gates to the higher percentiles with fire-spewing beasts from hell whose eyes glow red. Seriously. This way, only those few people who are 'that' smart or 'that' determined will be allowed to pass. Like in LOTR, when Gandolf stops the Fire Monster from passing? Did you remember that scene? Rent LOTR and look for it if not...THAT is exactly how the GMAT is guarded by it's algorithms and fantastic labryinth of razor sharp code.

Try and focus on the SUCCESS you have ALREADY achieved! Going from a 17-36 is AMAZING! Now all you have to do is reclaim your normal Verbal score and you are homefree! Don't wander off the race track at the last bend, CCCMom! You're almost at the finish line and the gold ribbon!!!!! STAY ON TRACK!

Finish the race. You said, "Quitting is not an option." So wipe away that tear so your mascara doesn't smear and do some deep breathing, hug your sweet kids and look in the mirror and tell those fire-spitting Dragons guarding the GMAT gates to back the eff down or you'll cut their heads off! "CCCMom is Coming Through, People!!!!!! MOVE IT!"

The verbal going down indicates a lack of focus, probably due to your concern about the quant after the tutor. Now it's time to bring the two halves together for a cumulative score that truly represents your abilities. 510-550 is TOTALLY do-able! TOTALLY.

You're in the very last leg of this race, CCCMom! Stay on the track and elbow your way through to the finish! I'm holding a cup of cool water and a sign with your name on it at the finish line waiting to give you a high-five, Sister!!!! Keep Coming, Sister!

Sounds like your brain compartmentalized the Quant from the Verbal. Now it's about timed practice sessions and tests and perhaps a GMAT tutor. First, get the experts' advice here from the admins and high-scoring folks. The dogs at the GMAT gate are AFRAID of these guys and cower as they pass through! ;-) They'll have some great tips for you on how to break down a specific game plan.

Have you read this guy's website: https://gmatninja.com/2009/10/03/how-high-can-you-go/

I've only just read it but he writes in a really funny, low-key, it's-not-the-end-of-the-world-way and sounds like someone I'd like to have a tutorial session when the time comes. Anyone else have any experience/feedback/reviews of Charles?

It's time to shake off the past, CCCMom and regroup, form a new plan to finish this race with your 550, and envision victory! Visualization is so important. GMAT is mental acrobatics so we have to be mental athletes to get through it at our best.

Celebrate everything that is good in your life! Count your blessings as my Grandmother always reminded me. :-) Give thanks and pray for deliverance as you rededicate all you've got to this final push to victory! You can only succeed! 550 IS do-able if you want it bad enough. Don't give up. You're a winner! Winners are marked by their grace under pressure and resistance to defeat. So you got defeated. NEXT! The most successful people are also the people who failed the most times!

We're with you and are sending you positive energy, love, hugs and fists iron to bust through those GMAT gates dogs or no.

All my best energy and love to you, CCCMom!!!!

Stay strong. Regroup. Enlist a GMAT tutor to form a specific plan and take no prisoners!!!

:-)

You can do this. You already ARE doing it!!!!

GO CCCMom!!!

Sincerely,

Creative2MBA

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by carllecat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:04 pm
I also started studying over again in August and did it until the end of November. I had to take the test or I felt like I was going to bust. Looking back now, I think I did too much and did not take some time to relax and enjoy life as much as I should have. Studying for the tes is a good behavior, but studying too much is going to burn you out... espacially if you have 3 kids to take care of! Take life easy, spend some time with your kids and enjoy what life brings you my dear friend. At some point, your energy will incease and you might just refresh your mind in your GMAT books for a month or so and then kick that GMAT in the nuts!

On December 4, 2009 after a long 1 year of overstudying, overstressing, ovethis and overthat, I took the GMAT with the idea that I could not care less anymore and got the score I desired.

In your case, you should take that test more lightly and I guarantee you that you will make it to your 500 goal!

Cheers!

by cccmom » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:10 pm
Thanks to you all for the suggestions and feedback. I do appreciate the encouragement! I did check out the website you posted - https://gmatninja.com/2009/10/03/how-high-can-you-go/ and I called Charles today. He was super helpful and talked to me for way longer than most people would. He has lots of innovative ideas to make up for my deficit in the verbal score. I really appreciate the recommendation, Creative2MBA! I am seriously considering using his services and in the meantime, he was super nice and offered me some tips on things I can do on my own. This type of customer service is so refreshing after many of the other services have not even gotten back with me. Anyhow, I'm wiping off that smeared mascara and formulating a plan for round 4. I will fight the GMAT again and I am confident God will grant me victory. It is just a matter of time!! Thanks again for your input - you all have really helped me in processing this disappointment....many thanks and much love, CCCMom :lol:

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vivecan2005 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:18 pm
Regardless what happened this time, Do not give up. After reading dozens of GMAT blogs and forums on thing I figured out that 2nd and 3rd time test takers can do a great job and get amazing score if they have a smart plan and ability to analyze that What went wrong in first attempt? Where is the weakness?

Never generalize that I am weak in verbal or quant but try to locate the exact type of problems which makes you less confident. As the time passes your memory about this test will get blury so sit, think and write on a paper everything about the exam such as:

1. What was my overall level of confidence in both questions?
2. When did I take first brake
3. When I came back from break, How was I feeling?
4. Where I got completely stopped, starrring at screen or looking around?
5. What type of question was that?
6. Was I feeling more confident in critical reasoning questions versus other parts of verbal question?
7. Was I clicking more on (E) choice because of my internal belief that (E) is normally correct answer in unanswerable questions?
When you will analyze yourself in this way and document it so you don't forget , It will make a big difference.
Good luck!

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 pm
cccmom wrote:Thanks to you all for the suggestions and feedback. I do appreciate the encouragement! I did check out the website you posted - https://gmatninja.com/2009/10/03/how-high-can-you-go/ and I called Charles today. He was super helpful and talked to me for way longer than most people would. He has lots of innovative ideas to make up for my deficit in the verbal score. I really appreciate the recommendation, Creative2MBA! I am seriously considering using his services and in the meantime, he was super nice and offered me some tips on things I can do on my own. This type of customer service is so refreshing after many of the other services have not even gotten back with me. Anyhow, I'm wiping off that smeared mascara and formulating a plan for round 4. I will fight the GMAT again and I am confident God will grant me victory. It is just a matter of time!! Thanks again for your input - you all have really helped me in processing this disappointment....many thanks and much love, CCCMom :lol:
Hi CCCMom, Charles was my GMAT tutor and i can say this with utmost sincerity that he is a brilliant tutor, probably the best in NYC.

All the best with your preparation and this time I'm sure you'll win the battle!
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:800

by gmatninja » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:20 am
I just wanted to thank all of you for the kind words. Creative2MBA, thank you for your brilliant, spirited advice--and thank you for posting a link to my site! Hari, thank you for being my biggest fan and an all-around awesome guy.

And CCCMom, hang in there! You've done some amazing work already, and I know that you'll accomplish your goals. There are lots of supportive GMAT veterans online, so keep coming to us if we can help. Good luck!
helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... https://www.gmatninja.com/

GMAT Score:700

by mjgoldste » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:08 am
Heyo,

I just saw your post and wanted to comment on a few things. First and foremost, big props to you for being able to study on top of working and raising children. I found it tough enough to juggle work and the test, let alone my commitments to loved ones. That is hugely important.

I have a few quesitons before I offer up a few responses:

1) How consistently were you studying and under what constraints? Do you study regularly each day at about the same time or do you study when you can? Do you try to study alone (if that's possible) or do you work with friends?

2) Did you take practice tests regularly and did you ever refer to the Official Guide materials? How did you come by GMAT Power Pill and Power Score?

3) Are you prepared for the "test holistics" parts of the GMAT--battling fatigue, building stamina, attention, etc?

Alrighty, now some answers:

Again, my sense is that you've got a lot on your plate in general and that studying for the GMAT's one of many commitments you have each day. From what I gather--and from my own experience--the most effective studying is done regularly at the same hours each day. That gets your brain's synapses firing and ready to rock each time you sit down to review something.

As importantly, it's not just the "how" you're studying but the "what" as well. I've not heard much about PowerScore's materials, except that their Critical Reasoning Bible is phenomenal. I do know that not working with the Official Materials might sway your sense of the real test and, since the official materials are fairly inexpensive, I highly recommend using them to supplement your studies.

Moreover, I do know that Manhattan GMAT's online materials are crazy helpful. This is for two reasons: 1) It gets you used to working on a computer while taking the exam. It doesn't mater how computer literate a person is, taking the computer based test is significantly different from taking a test on paper. But more importantly, their materials are very comprehensive: the answer explanations are wonderful, the let you retake any practice problems you want, and for about $75, you get access to the materials online as much as you'd like. Pretty awesome.

Finally, and this has nothing to do with the GMAT, but if you're interested in doing doctoral work, my strong suggestion is to begin taking graduate classes part-time toward the degree. You can get your foot in the door that way and show that, hey, even if your GMAT doesn't rise immediately, you're invested in doing the program and you're capable of doing high level graduate work. BTW, where are you hoping to do the graduate work? And in what, too?

Good luck!

-Mike