How about rating a question ?

Have suggestions to improve this community?
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

How about rating a question ?

by sumanr84 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 am
Hi All,

Do you like the idea of rating a given question on a scale of something like this,

<300 - 1
300-500 - 2
500-600 - 3
600-700 - 4
700-800 - 5

This will really help in evaluating questions coming out of unlimited materials from the users all over the world.

We should have one more column along with Replies, Views and Last Post as Rating.

We will request all to give rating to a particular Q once they are done with a given question.

what you all say ??

Suman

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vscid » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:41 pm
Its a wonderful idea.
That way, we can neglect posts from suspect sources and posts from trusted sources (Manhattan, Kaplan etc.) will receive higher rating.
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:45 pm
Suman, you are on a roll! :)

We are working on something that is very similar to what you've suggested. Can't reveal much yet, but more details coming SOON.

Thanks for this suggestion!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member

by sumanr84 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:15 pm
Thanks Eric !!

I will be waiting for that surprise :)
I am on a break !!

Legendary Member

by shashank.ism » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:14 pm
That is indeed a very good idea. Rating from the members will certainly help us to know which type of question is best for preparation. Rather I think there should be a comment column too where if they want to comment in one liners or want to explain their reason to rate the question good or bad on that particular scale, they can easily do so .
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:19 am
beatthegmat wrote:Suman, you are on a roll! :)

We are working on something that is very similar to what you've suggested. Can't reveal much yet, but more details coming SOON.

Thanks for this suggestion!
Hey Eric,
I would also like to add one more thing.Can post an option on the main forum page to sort the posts according to their star ratings.This would prove very beneficial.Also in the search option ,can you devise any method that posts can be searched according to their star ratings?

I guess these 2 options would come in very handy.
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Site Admin
Followed by:29 members

by DavidP » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:47 am
Hi All,

I have a followup question about the ratings idea. Should we just open up the ratings to the community so that anyone can vote? Or should we get moderators/experts to rate the questions? The reason I ask this is that letting the community vote on difficulty ratings may lead to more inaccurate ratings because different people will have different pereceptions about what is difficult vs. easy. On the other hand, if we only let moderators/experts rate the questions, then we might not get enough ratings.

Legendary Member

by ajith » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:55 am
DavidP wrote:Hi All,

I have a followup question about the ratings idea. Should we just open up the ratings to the community so that anyone can vote? Or should we get moderators/experts to rate the questions? The reason I ask this is that letting the community vote on difficulty ratings may lead to more inaccurate ratings because different people will have different pereceptions about what is difficult vs. easy. On the other hand, if we only let moderators/experts rate the questions, then we might not get enough ratings.
I think it should be only moderators and experts. Otherwise, what happened to IMDB ratings will happen to these ratings also (Wall -E was rated 9.2 - I think a bunch of kids did it). Without digressing much, I think it should be open only to a select few who will consistently rate the questions.
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vscid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:04 am
ajith wrote:

I think it should be only moderators and experts. Otherwise, what happened to IMDB ratings will happen to these ratings also (Wall -E was rated 9.2 - I think a bunch of kids did it). Without digressing much, I think it should be open only to a select few who will consistently rate the questions.
Yes I second that.
It should be allowed only for moderators/instructors/experts.
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

Legendary Member

by ajith » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 am
Looking at the way things are going, I would suggest two kinds of ratings, one is the difficulty level (500-600, 600-700 ., Non GMATish) and one for the elegance of the question (Might be stars .... One, two, three)
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.

Legendary Member

by harsh.champ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:13 am
Well,very nice suggestions by the community members over here.

Also,I was suggesting if we can mark a question for some further reference.Like u can include a mark option for every user.
In that user's profile,he/she can see which all questions are marked by him/her and subsequently they can be looked upon in the final stages of the preparation.
What is ur say on this David??
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

Legendary Member

by harsh.champ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 am

Well,I guess it would be optimum if a minimum no.s of votes is fixed as the threshold limit so that only after crossing that threshold the ratings will appear.
Ex:-Suppose 50 votes is the set threshold limit.
Then,that question has to get atleast 50 votes to be validated for a rating.
This way u can check if u have got enough ratings or not.
In case the ques. has got only 45 votes the ratings will not appear.
Is this method practical??

Legendary Member

by sumanr84 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:44 am
harsh.champ wrote:Well,very nice suggestions by the community members over here.

Also,I was suggesting if we can mark a question for some further reference.Like u can include a mark option for every user.
In that user's profile,he/she can see which all questions are marked by him/her and subsequently they can be looked upon in the final stages of the preparation.
What is ur say on this David??
I like this idea of marking for future reference...that wud help a lot !!

ajith idea is also good..great !!
I am on a break !!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:46 am
Could we really do this though? From what I've seen Manhattan is the only test prep company that explicitly rates their questions. With the other questions it would just be a guess.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by tata » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:01 pm
sumanr84 wrote:Hi All,

Do you like the idea of rating a given question on a scale of something like this,

<300 - 1
300-500 - 2
500-600 - 3
600-700 - 4
700-800 - 5

This will really help in evaluating questions coming out of unlimited materials from the users all over the world.

We should have one more column along with Replies, Views and Last Post as Rating.

We will request all to give rating to a particular Q once they are done with a given question.

what you all say ??

Suman

This is a SUPER idea, this will help a lot of us to guage our strengths and areas we need to re work based on the radar of questions we are missing.