Post a New Topic

Have suggestions to improve this community?
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Post a New Topic

by ajith » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:50 am
These days at least in Math forums, People post a lot of questions which are already discussed. While some instances may be justified because the thread starter is genuinely in doubt, most of it is because of the lack of use of search function.

Suggestions:

1. Include an appeal to search the forums before they post on the "Post a New Topic " Screen with a link to "forum rules" We can customize it thread wise for example in sentence correction thread this message will contain the necessity of underlining the portion of question etc etc.

2. Can we implement something to indicate that the question is a re-post or should the poster necessarily go back to the original thread and reply there?
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.

Site Admin
Followed by:29 members

by DavidP » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:07 pm
Hi Ajith,

Great suggestion. We can actually add some text at the top of the Post Topic box that reminds people to search first before posting. Would it be possible for you to write up brief instructions on how people should do the search before they post the question?

I know that my request may sound silly to you because how hard can it be to search, right? But the easier we can make it for people, the more likely it is that they'll follow the recommended path.

I thought about writing it up but realized that I'm not the right person since I don't use the forum nearly as much as you do. For example, I'm not sure if the best way to do a search is to the Search Box at the top right of the navigation bar or the advanced search.

David

• Page 1 of 1