Germanic languages

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Germanic languages

by sallespadua » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:09 am
With its abundance of noun inflections, Icelandic is one of several Germanic languages that is compact when written but can lengthen considerably when translated into English.

(A) is compact when written but can lengthen considerably when translated into English
(B) are compact when they are written, but they can lengthen considerably when they are translated in English
(C) is compact when written but can lengthen considerably when being translated into English
(D) are compact when written but can lengthen considerably in English translation
(E) is compact when it is written but can lengthen considerably when translated in English

OA D

I had some doubts between B and D. In D the connector "but" doesn't require the clauses to be parallel? On the other hand, B is wordy! Well, I thought that this question is tricky! What do you think?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Rajat Khandelwal » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:24 am
Obviously the choice narrows down between B and D . To avoid redundancy, the adverb clause has been cut to clutter to adverbial phrase as both clauses got same subject, languages.
And, to show contrast between the compound predicate , we have used 'but'.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:25 am
What's the source?
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:23 am
sallespadua wrote:With its abundance of noun inflections, Icelandic is one of several Germanic languages that is compact when written but can lengthen considerably when translated into English.

(A) is compact when written but can lengthen considerably when translated into English
(B) are compact when they are written, but they can lengthen considerably when they are translated in English
(C) is compact when written but can lengthen considerably when being translated into English
(D) are compact when written but can lengthen considerably in English translation
(E) is compact when it is written but can lengthen considerably when translated in English

OA D

I had some doubts between B and D. In D the connector "but" doesn't require the clauses to be parallel? On the other hand, B is wordy! Well, I thought that this question is tricky! What do you think?
B is wordy. "they" is not necessary here, used 3 times in the sentence ;)

My guess is a 600 level question.
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by prinit » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:07 pm
sallespadua wrote:With its abundance of noun inflections, Icelandic is one of several Germanic languages that is compact when written but can lengthen considerably when translated into English.

OA D

My pick is D
Sahil's Note will take you B and D. B is wordy and ambiguous they.

Sahil's Note excerpt:
4) One of the: The pattern to remember is 'one of the NOUN (this noun will always be plural) + that/who + PLURAL VERB
Example : He is one of the persons who make money.
This is one of the cars that run on hydrogen.

Hope this helps...
I'm here to BTG :)