NEW TITLE: Tutoring - pros and cons.

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager

NEW TITLE: Tutoring - pros and cons.

by ianstrike » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:05 am
(Changed title on Friday, Oct. 27)

NOTE: I originally posted this on Monday, 10/23. Since my note caused some confusion, I've chosen to re-label. I will add some additional thoughts (as a reply to this topic) on (1) who should consider tutoring and (2) how to get the most from tutoring.

I just read a posting in which Syrian said that he was considering getting a math tutor. More than once on the site, I've seen the idea brought up and usually dismissed with the "oh that's expensive. You can do it on your own, dude." retort.

Since I have taught GMAT in the classroom and as a one-on-one tutor extensively, I thought I'd make some points.

Tutoring IS expensive, but for many folks extremely effective. If you can read the explanations in a test prep book and make sense of them, you may not need tutoring,

Tutoring doesn't reduce the importance of the student spending HOURS and HOURS working on their own. Tutored students still need to OWN the concepts and strategies.

A tutor can shed light on the student's habits, negative tendencies and stumbling blocks.

A tutor can make connections between various problems. He or she should also be able to explain most GMAT problems in ways that go significantly beyond the printed explanations. (The explanations in the GMAT books are okay - not great. (The OG's explanations are particularly unimaginative. TPR's rely far too often on backdoor strategies.)

Tutoring is NOT a panacea. YOU still have to do the work.

Tutoring is not for everyone. (Other than music lessons, I've never had a tutor.) But for many, it's far better than spinning your wheels alone and not getting anywhere.
Last edited by ianstrike on Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Streicher

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by delfosse » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:14 am
Excellent post. I have not tried the tutoring myself (other than music lessons, too!!! And that made a huge difference), but your points are very valid.