gmat prep1 foodmarket supermarket

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

gmat prep1 foodmarket supermarket

by vkb16 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:47 am
which of the following logically completes the argument?

researchers recently asked dozens of shoppers, chosen at random coming out of FoodBasket supermarket, what they had purchased. The prices of the very same items at the nearest ShopperKing supermarket were totaled and compared with the FoodBasket total. The ShopperKing totals averaged five percent higher than the FoodBasket Totals. Nevertheless, this result does not necessarily show that shoppers at ShopperKing would save money overall by shopping at FoodBasket instead, since __________.

a. shoppers who shop regularly at a given supermarket generally choose that store for the low prices offered on the items that they purchase most often

b. for shoppers with more than 20 items, the ShopperKing totals averaged more than five percent higher than the FoodBasket's totals

c. many shoppers consider factors other than price in choosing the supermarket at which they stop most regularly

d. there is little variation from month to month in the overall quantity of purchases made at supermarkets at a given shopper

e. none of the people who conducted the research were employees of the FoodBasket supermarket

OA A[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: gmat prep1 foodmarket supermarket

by Vemuri » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:57 am
vkb16 wrote:which of the following logically completes the argument?

researchers recently asked dozens of shoppers, chosen at random coming out of FoodBasket supermarket, what they had purchased. The prices of the very same items at the nearest ShopperKing supermarket were totaled and compared with the FoodBasket total. The ShopperKing totals averaged five percent higher than the FoodBasket Totals. Nevertheless, this result does not necessarily show that shoppers at ShopperKing would save money overall by shopping at FoodBasket instead, since __________.

a. shoppers who shop regularly at a given supermarket generally choose that store for the low prices offered on the items that they purchase most often

b. for shoppers with more than 20 items, the ShopperKing totals averaged more than five percent higher than the FoodBasket's totals

c. many shoppers consider factors other than price in choosing the supermarket at which they stop most regularly

d. there is little variation from month to month in the overall quantity of purchases made at supermarkets at a given shopper

e. none of the people who conducted the research were employees of the FoodBasket supermarket

OA A[/spoiler]
This is a tricky one. My first instincts made me chose C as the answer. After seeing that the OA is A, I realised what a dumbo I was by reading the paragraph so fast.

Nevertheless, this result does not necessarily show that shoppers at ShopperKing would save money overall by shopping at FoodBasket instead, since __________.

The underlined part of the bolded phrase conveys that the shoppers at ShopperKing would save money by shopping at Foodbasket. [/b]

by vkb16 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:09 am
can u explain a bit in detail?
thanx

by Musicolo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 am
I really don't see how A is the correct answer?
Can someone explain please!
Thanks

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by spalum07 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:23 am
The key is the researchers are not comparing ALL items the FB has to the SK. They are ONLY comparing items that were bought by the random shoppers (could be 2,4,5,10, etc.). These items could be frequent items that ONLY these shoppers buy and know that they are cheaper at FB. There is no reverse comparison by stopping random SK shoppers to see what they bought nor is there a comparison of ALL items the FB sells to the items that the SK sells. That is why 'a' is the answer.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: gmat prep1 foodmarket supermarket

by Vemuri » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 am
which of the following logically completes the argument?

The question is asking us to logically complete the arguement. Researchers found that the prices of the very same items that were bought in FB supermarket were "totalled" and found to be 5% less than the total bought in SK supermarket. The key here is "totalled". So, lets assume a customer buys 3 products in both the super markets:

In SK supermarket:
1. Potato Chips - $5
2. Drinks - $10
3. Bread - $5

Since the total of the same products in FB supermarket is 5% less, the total should be 5%(5+10+5) --> 1/20(20) --> $1 less than the total of SK supermarket price, i.e. $19. So, we can assume the following prices of the products:
1. Potato Chips - $4
2. Drinks - $6
3. Bread - $9

Since Bread costs only $5 in SK supermarket (compared to $9 in FB supermarket), customers would continue to buy the same product in SK supermarket.

Hope this explanation helps.

by vkb16 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:12 pm
thanks all of u...
really a basic answer, but I guess the simplest things are the most ifficult to understand also!

by alexdallas » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:17 pm
amen brother

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:390

Still don't get it

by ajlcalbanese1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:05 pm
Why do we have to assume that the "random" shoppers bought non need items? this problems makes it sound like it is regular stuff? you all say they totalled the prices but I still don't get the way the problem talks comparison, I had picked C as well...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bullshark » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:19 pm
ajlcalbanese1 wrote:Why do we have to assume that the "random" shoppers bought non need items? this problems makes it sound like it is regular stuff? you all say they totalled the prices but I still don't get the way the problem talks comparison, I had picked C as well...
I agree with you that this question is weakly worded.

If answer A is indeed true, then the shoppers would chose that store that offered the low prices on the items they purchase most often. If one makes the assumption that the items bought by shoppers at SK are indeed items that they purchase most often then this answer falls apart. Key is not to make assumptions when doing these problems. Only use the information provided in the stimulus.

Answer C is attractive in that it addresses another reason besides prices that attracts shoppers to a certain supermarket, however the question is asking you to address the problem of price directly which answer A does (although rather weakly, given you don't make any assumptions). As shown by a concrete example of prices shown above by another post, it is possible for shoppers to not save money shopping at FB over SK. Only one example of this would be necessarily to refute the conclusion that shoppers at SK would save money overall by shopping at FB.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by aagar2003 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:08 pm
I still don't get why A has a preference over C in this question from PowerPrep GMAT Praactice Test.

I stick with C.
My reasoning was:

Random survey of people from FB who purchased x items
SK totals averages 5% higher than FB on the same x items

Totals are higher which means SK customers will not save money unless what can be true:

A. Customer who choose SK was because they were offered lowest prices on the x items they purchase more often. but still does not answer the question. This for me does not reveal any insight into how the shoppers can save money.
B. number of items can not reveal any reason too
C. If C is true => Besides price on the things that shoppers purchase more often, shoppers also consider brands for example.
These other things are expensive which is the reason why the total are higher and therefore will never be able to save money.
D. Monthly variation is out of question for any explanation
E. Does not matter because people surveyed did not contain any employees from SK

Can somebody please explain why A and not C? I think C is better than A although both are too bad to see on the examination

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:28 pm
Their survey suggsts that ShopperKing is the more expensive of the 2. The last sentence begins with "nevertheless", a contrast keyword, so we know the author will argue against the survey's result. Before the blank we have the evidence keyword "since". So, we need to insert a reason that shows that Shopperking is NOT NECESSARILY more expensive. Choice A does this perfectly. It's not necessarily more expensive for the kind of products people are buying from Shopperking.

Things that don't have to do with price don't have to do with the argument at all. Thus, choice C is outside the scope.

________

There is no flaw in the design of this question.
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto