Sc OG 11-q 77

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Sc OG 11-q 77

by sangeethmani » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:35 pm
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum lower than 1 percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care last year, doctors say fear of lawsuits plays a major role in the health care inflation.
(A)
(B) amounts to less
(C)amounted to less
(D)amounted to lower
(E) amounted to a lower sum..

I am confused betn c and d .. I haven't understood the meaning in OG where they say less is a noun and lower is used as an adjective.. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:09 pm
Hi sangeethmani,

You must either underline the sentence OR provide choice A completely. Only then, we'll be able to help you out.

by sangeethmani » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:34 pm
a) amounts to a sum lower

Could u help me now?

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:44 pm
Sure. Well, i would go with C

Firstly, eliminate A and B as it has subject-verb error. subject is "direct costs" which is a plural and it must be paired with a plural verb and NOT a singular verb "amounts".

Secondly, when you compare numbers with units such as dollars, percents, centimeter, meter etc., one must use terms such as "less" that are normally used for uncountable nouns. This is worth a rule to memorize if you want to.

So, the winner is C

by sangeethmani » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:58 am
Bihar is India's poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world.
a. lower than in
b. lower than that of
c.and lower than that of
d. which is lower than in
e. which is lower than in

how is this example diffrent from the above there is a use of lower in this.??
Please explain!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vscid » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:51 am
sangeethmani wrote:Bihar is India's poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world.
a. lower than in
b. lower than that of
c.and lower than that of

how is this example diffrent from the above there is a use of lower in this.??
Please explain!
Please underline your sentence.
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

by sangeethmani » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:16 am
I think it becomes clear with the chioce a. But if that doesnt make it clear..

Bihar is India's poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world. 
a. lower than in 
b. lower than that of 
c.and lower than that of 

Hope that makes it more clear...

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mmslf75 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:39 am
sangeethmani wrote:I think it becomes clear with the chioce a. But if that doesnt make it clear..

a. lower than in 
b. lower than that of 
c.and lower than that of 

Create separate threads for your sentences please

Secondly, I sense this is an OG question and has already been answered somewhere. Please search the question.

by vscid » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:22 am
sangeethmani wrote:I think it becomes clear with the chioce a. But if that doesnt make it clear..

a. lower than in 
b. lower than that of 
c.and lower than that of 

Firstly, your D and E look the same here.

Secondly, IMO those 2 examples that you quoted are testing different concepts, hence cannot be compared.
In the 'Bihar' example, you are making a comparision between incomes of x and incomes of y. Hence, lower.
In the other example, you are not making a comparision between costs of x and costs of y.
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

by sangeethmani » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:25 am
Thanks a lot...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:06 am
Received a PM asking me to reply. We're not supposed to discuss OG questions online, so I will discuss some general concepts but not this specific question.

When making a numerical comparison, the word "lower" is always an adjective - so that's one fact you just have to know. An adjective is a word that modifies a noun. For example: My bills are lower than they were last year. Here, I'm using the word "lower" to describe the "bills." "Bills" = a noun, so "lower," an adjective, is the right word to use.

The word "less" can be used as an adjective, but it can also be used as an adverb. An adverb is a word that modifies a verb.

For example: I spend less than I did last year. Here, I'm using the word "less" to describe "spend." "Spend" = a verb, so I can't use "lower" (because I'm making a numerical comparison, and "lower" can only be used as an adjective when making a numerical comparison). Adjectives must refer to nouns, but I want to refer to the word "spend" and "spend" is a verb. So I have to use "less" instead.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by sangeethmani » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:46 am
Is it the same with the difference between the use of double and twice. Is double always used as an adjective when is it used with numbers?

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:35 pm
Great explanation, Stacey! No wonder you're an instructor

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:49 am
Is it the same with the difference between the use of double and twice. Is double always used as an adjective when is it used with numbers?
Hmm. Interesting. I can't say it's ALWAYS true because I haven't actually researched that topic, but certainly you can say:

My bills are double what they were last year.

My bills are twice what they were last year - or - My bills are twice as high as they were last year.

I spend twice as much as I did last year.

But you CAN'T say: I spend double as much as I did last year.

In general, you can say "twice as much" or "twice as high," but you CAN'T say "double as much," or "double as high."
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me