Adverb confusion

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Adverb confusion

by shiromani » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:58 am
968. Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months.
(A) have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged
(B) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remain unchanged
(C) steadily declined during the first six months of this year but remain virtually unchanged
(D) declined steadily during the first six months of this but have remained virtually unchanging'
(E) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged

My question is why the answer is B not C.

I dont know the difference between an adverb following a verb and an adverb preceding a verb.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by mohit11 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:00 pm
In this case, Declined and Remained are parallel. That's why B is correct.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:24 am
shiromani wrote:968. Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months.
(A) have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged
incorrect virtually is a noun modifier , here its modifying a verb
have declined should be llel with have remain
ed

(B) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remain unchanged
same as A

(C) steadily declined during the first six months of this year but remain virtually unchanged
steadily is a noun modifier and here its modifying a verb
not llel

(D) declined steadily during the first six months of this but have remained virtually unchanging'
unchanging is a wrong tense

(E) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged
correct

I dont know the difference between an adverb following a verb and an adverb preceding a verb.
pls check it sud be E

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:45 am
thephoenix wrote:
shiromani wrote:968. Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months.
incorrect virtually is a noun modifier , here its modifying a verb
have declined should be llel with have remain
ed

same as A

steadily is a noun modifier and here its modifying a verb
not llel

unchanging is a wrong tense

correct

pls check it sud be E
I agree with thephoenix ( nicely explained)...knowledge of tense is tested here.
I am on a break !!