Can we get alert from BTG when someone writes

Have suggestions to improve this community?
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
Hi All,

Is it possible to get the alerts whenever a particular person posts on BTG....

Actually I want to read the posts of a specific person who just writes real awesome replies to people queries in verbal part of GMAT........even though I may not be the member of the post under discussion....I want to get the alert whenever that person writes in an existing thread or starts a new thread....

Kindly tell is it possible ?

Thanks

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:50 pm
There is a way of checking posts made by a certain person: you will see that on the bottom of the message you can check the user's profile. Click on that button and you're on his/her profile page. Once you're there, click the "Find all posts by X" link and you'll see that user's posts in reverse chronological order.

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:55 pm
Yes. Thanks.

That feature I am using quite extensively....but in that case i have to regularly keep on checking say every day or so.....and in fact multiple times in a day....

And result = zero...that particular person has not written anything on BTG from the last interval I checked...

Else if i do once in 2-3 days then too much to read at one shot....

Basically it is possible to automate this process similar to the reply alerts that BTG sends....similar to thread alerts to which I am member...is it not possible to create person alerts ?

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:26 pm
Can't help you with this one... Maybe one of the administrators can help... I suggest PM-ing aim-wsc or mayo if they don't answer this thread...

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:50 pm
Although I personally liked this idea, the feature you're interested in is not available on our forum nor I think I could get it done easily on this forum. It's not impossible to tweak, I know exactly what you're looking for but your current method seems to be the most adoptable for accurate results.

...For person alert :cough: or especially if you're interested in following/watching somebody you can:

1. bookmark this url to your browser & check it on a regular basis. https://www.beatthegmat.com/search.php?search_author= followed by the userid you want to follow. e.g. to follow DanaJ's posts, I would type https://www.beatthegmat.com/search.php?s ... thor=DanaJ

Or you can try (not accurate though)
2. Google Alerts: if you've Google account you can set Google alerts with search term as "userid site:www.beatthegmat.com" it'll send you email alerts as soon as any forum page mentions that userid

I'd say give it a shot @option#2 & let us know how it works.. B-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:27 am
moving it to suggestion & feedback forum.

Legendary Member

by shashank.ism » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:05 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:Hi All,

Is it possible to get the alerts whenever a particular person posts on BTG....

Actually I want to read the posts of a specific person who just writes real awesome replies to people queries in verbal part of GMAT........even though I may not be the member of the post under discussion....I want to get the alert whenever that person writes in an existing thread or starts a new thread....

Kindly tell is it possible ?

Thanks
Yeah I think your idea is good. and it should work like facebook, which send message to you whenever someone post something on which you have already posted. In that way you can have a track on post where you have written something and what others think about that.

Well there can be an update in left or right in form of notification where it will show that following people wrote on post where u have written. This would be highly appreciable.I think moderators will be thinking on this!!!
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:03 pm
Yeah I think your idea is good. and it should work like facebook, which send message to you whenever someone post something on which you have already posted. In that way you can have a track on post where you have written something and what others think about that.
shashank.ism this already exists as email, or did you mean an update if you're not logged into your email, kinda like the PM notification cuz that might be helpful for those who aren't always logged into their email
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Site Admin
Followed by:29 members

by DavidP » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:38 pm
I've been thinking that it'd be interesting to be able to explicitly follow someone on the BTG forum. So whenever people you are following post a message, then you can get a notification about it - either via email or via a separate list of topics on our site, which is similar to a Facebook stream. Which method do you think is better?

Legendary Member

by ajith » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:20 am
On a similar note, I would like to have a feature called unread posts, upon click, shows all the posts/threads I have not visited/contain some new posts (not only from last visit but also from past). One of the other forums (not a GMAT forum) I frequent has this feature and I find it better than the current system. The current system shows only shows posts from my last visit and if I were busy during my last visit and could not check all mails, some posts may go unnoticed. If you can make this feature main thread wise(something like GMAT Math, GMAT Verbal), that will be really good.
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.

Site Admin
Followed by:29 members

by DavidP » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:48 am
@ajith, thanks for the suggestion. i'll have to think about the "unread" posts feature. i think that implementing that specific feature could be hard because the system would have to keep track of every single topic that you've read rather than just looking at the last visit date. but i will see if that's possible.