Anti-discrimination Legislation

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

Anti-discrimination Legislation

by komal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:47 pm
Agencies studying discrimination in housing have experimentally proved that minority clients are often discouraged as prospective buyers of residential real estate and the antidiscrimination legislation of recent decades were only mitigating, rather than abolishing, inequity in housing practices.

(A) the antidiscrimination legislation of recent decades were only mitigating, rather than abolishing, inequity in housing practices

(B) in recent decades, the antidiscrimination legislation only mitigated, rather than abolishing, inequity in housing practices

(C) that antidiscrimination legislation of recent decades has only mitigated, rather than abolished, inequity in housing practices

(D) that, in recent decades, antidiscrimination legislation has only mitigated, rather than abolishing, housing practices' inequity

(E) that recent decades' antidiscrimination legislation only were mitigating, rather than abolishing, housing practices' inequity

OA C

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:24 pm
komal wrote:Agencies studying discrimination in housing have experimentally proved that minority clients are often discouraged as prospective buyers of residential real estate and the antidiscrimination legislation of recent decades were only mitigating, rather than abolishing, inequity in housing practices.

that minority clients are often discouraged as prospective buyers of residential real estate needs to be llel with the other part after and

pattern of llelism is THAt sub( minority clients) verb phrase (are often discouraged) and THAT sub verb

now eliminate options
(A) the antidiscrimination legislation of recent decades were only mitigating, rather than abolishing, inequity in housing practices
does not starts with THAT

(B) in recent decades, the antidiscrimination legislation only mitigated, rather than abolishing, inequity in housing practices

does not starts with THAT

(C) that antidiscrimination legislation of recent decades has only mitigated, rather than abolished, inequity in housing practices
pattern followed correct

(D) that, in recent decades, antidiscrimination legislation has only mitigated, rather than abolishing, housing practices' inequity

mitigated, rather than abolishing.not llel

(E) that recent decades' antidiscrimination legislation only were mitigating, rather than abolishing, housing practices' inequity
possesive form changes meaning

C is correct

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:32 pm
proved that ...and THAT required . to maintain parallelism.
So strike out A and B

Correct idiom is rather than which is observed in all the remaining choices.

But in the first half of the non - underlined sentence - discouraged is used. Hence to maintain parallelism , the verb in the underlined part of the sentence should also have a verb in the past tense. which is only there in option C - mitigated , abolised.

Hence C

Hope this helps :)

komal wrote:
Agencies studying discrimination in housing have experimentally proved that minority clients are often discouraged as prospective buyers of residential real estate and the antidiscrimination legislation of recent decades were only mitigating, rather than abolishing, inequity in housing practices.

OA C

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:11 pm
i narrowed this one down to C & D... but only chose C because D seemed like it had too many comma's :-/
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by Ludacrispat26 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:04 pm
money9111 wrote:i narrowed this one down to C & D... but only chose C because D seemed like it had too many comma's :-/
While it's nice that you got the answer correct, think process-oriented, not results-oriented. "Too many commas" will rarely to never be a reason to eliminate an answer. In fact, the GMAT does not test grammatical comma usage (mostly because it is an area of general confusion/contention). While D keeps parallelism with "that," it loses parallelism when going from "mitigated" to "abolishing," which is clearly wrong.
Don't stop believin'...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mgmt_gmat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:24 am
IMO (C) .. That pattern should be used here to indicate " discrimination.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:03 pm
Ludacrispat26 i think i only chose D because it was "late" and while yes i saw the comma's i figured... yeah i don't feel like reading this right now... to be honest!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants