McCombs / Olin / Mays / Cox / Price

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

McCombs / Olin / Mays / Cox / Price

by SigGolfer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:26 am
Hello! I think this topic is worth supporting, so I thought that I would add a little bit about my ongoing admissions struggles. Here's a run-down of my stats:

27-year old male, US citizen
BS in non-technical field
3.3 GPA, but it started REALLY low and got progressively higher
Served 7 years in US military
740 GMAT

I am applying for Fall 08 admission to:

McCombs @ UT-Austin
Olin @ Washington University in St. Louis
Mays @ Texas A&M
Cox @ Southern Methodist University
Price @ University of Oklahoma (safety school)

Since my GPA isn't that impressive, I really focused on my essays and my GMAT. Thankfully, the GMAT worked out and I am currently working on the essays. So far I have three main "types" of essays. I have a "Why an MBA/this school" essay, a "Diversity" essay, and a "leadership example" essay. I've adjusted these essays to each school and I've come up with several additional essays because some questions are significantly different from the norm. I wrote two drafts for each essay with minor editing in-between and then I had two relatives QC the final product for me.

I'm trying to apply for R1 because I need scholarship money. I believe that applying in R1 will really give me an advantage. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to add. I'll try to keep everyone posted. If anyone is applying to the above schools (eh, you all are probably applying to HBS and Wharton), please drop me a line! Also, I encourage others to post their own admissions stories. Good luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:32 am
Thanks for sharing your story, SigGolfer. Good luck with your apps!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by SigGolfer » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:54 am
Well, I got all of my applications in for the Round 1 deadline. I thought that I would feel a huge sense of relief, but now I'm worrying about being accepted and getting solid financial offers.

Thankfully, I got some good news yesterday that relieved a little bit of my stress. I got the 'green light' from Olin at Washington University. I'm pretty stoked that Olin responded so quickly. Hopefully, their financial aid package will match my enthusiasm for the school.

Also, I received an invitation to interview this Saturday with McCombs. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for checking out my rantings. Good luck with your GMAT and applications!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:17 pm
Congrats! What a huge relief that you've gotten into a great business school!

I'm sure the rest will follow--please keep us posted and let us know where you ultimately will go!

All the best,

by SigGolfer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:35 am
The Results..... (drum roll, please)....

Well, I've heard back from all of the schools. The details of the financial offers and admission decisions are below

McCombs @ UT-Austin - Denied admission (still don't know why, maybe I forgot to shower before my interview)

Olin @ Washington University in St. Louis - Offered admission with a full-tuition scholarship (Woo hoo!)

Mays @ Texas A&M - Offered admission and an aid package including scholarships and a graduate assistantship that covers tuition 100%

Cox @ Southern Methodist University - Offered admission and a scholarship that covered about 75% of tuition

Price @ University of Oklahoma (safety school) - Offered admission and an aid package including scholarships and a graduate assistantship that covers tuition 100%

So, I've committed to the Olin School of Business at Washington University. Not only did Olin offer me the best deal, but it was also the best at keeping in touch with me and answering my questions in a timely manner. Also, my visit to Olin was amazing and I really think I'm going to enjoy my MBA studies there. Anyways, I'm happy with the whole process and I wish you all good luck with the GMAT and your applications!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:13 pm
Congratulations, SigGolfer! We did a great job selecting you as one of our Beat The GMAT Scholarship winners--you turned out to be worthwhile investment. :)

Good luck!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by parore26 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:50 am
Congratulations on getting into Olin. I love the campus and the architecture of its buildings etc.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by faraji13 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:50 pm
Congrats. you got some great offers. Nice to have that luxury of choice.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by tfa2mba » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:54 pm
Sig!

Awesome that you got a full scholarship to Olin.. I just finished my app (round 3) and hope to get a hefty amount of money from Olin as well.

Is it just me or are there admissions people the nicest out there? Other schools seem so stuffy it kills me.

What is your focus going to be at Olin?

I'm looking into brand management and Olin had fairly good statistics, but like you I am a career changer from education and am worried about opportunities for people like me...

Anyways, congrats on the scholarship and I hope to follow in your footsteps..

by SigGolfer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:27 am
tfa2mba,

Good luck with your application at Olin! As far as the Admissions staff and students, I agree 100%. They never hesitated to answer my questions and were always very friendly. As far as a focus goes, I'm still pretty open, but I'm leaning towards Marketing/Brand Management. Anyways, please let me know how everything works out for you!

SG

by Ur_Sky » Sat May 24, 2008 8:48 pm
Hi,
I will apply for an MBA the next year and I didn´t knew about Olin MBA in the field of Mkt/Brand Management. Would you give me some info of why you find Olin as a good choice for this fields (let´s say better than Kellogg)?
Thanks!

by Ur_Sky » Sat May 24, 2008 8:49 pm
And congrats SigGolfer!

by SigGolfer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:12 am
Ur_Sky wrote:Hi,
I will apply for an MBA the next year and I didn´t knew about Olin MBA in the field of Mkt/Brand Management. Would you give me some info of why you find Olin as a good choice for this fields (let´s say better than Kellogg)?
Thanks!
Thanks for the response. I don't have any specifics on how Olin's Marketing Concentration compares to other programs. In fact, I didn't even consider Kellogg because it didn't fit what my family and I were looking for. If you are only interested in Marketing and don't have any other preferences or considerations, I would say that Kellogg would be a great choice. I mean, it is generally considered to be the top Marketing program in the world. However, I can say that one of the reasons that I chose Olin was because it is well-respected in every field. For more specifics about Olin's Marketing Concentration, I would contact Kevin Kiley at [email protected]. He was very willing to answer all of my questions and I'm sure that he'd be glad to help you out. Good luck!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Cox Question

by blaque831 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:41 am
Sig, I am focusing my efforts on applying to Cox because of my location and current job. I'm trying to apply to the professional mba program for spring 09. Are there any tips you can give me, seeing as you have successfully applied to Cox?

by SigGolfer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:34 am
blaque,

Without knowing more about your specific situation and background, I hesitate to make any specific recommendations regarding application strategy. However, there are some things that I think would help anyone. One important thing for me was to get my applications in as early as possible. That way, none of the scholarship funds were spoken for. Another key is to stress how your experience and background are unique. Once you've created your "brand", you can relate those skills to a business/school environment. Good luck with your application. Cox is a wonderful school.