Traverton's city

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

Traverton's city

by komal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:43 am
Traverton's city council wants to minimize the city's average yearly expenditures on its traffic signal lights and so
is considering replacing the incandescent bulbs currently in use with arrays of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) as the
incandescent bulbs burn out. Compared to incandescent bulbs, LED arrays consume significantly less energy
and cost no more to purchase. Moreover, the costs associated with the conversion of existing fixtures so as to
accept LED arrays would be minimal.

Which of the following would it be most useful to know in determining whether switching to LED arrays would be
likely to help minimize Traverton's yearly maintenance costs?

(A) Whether the expected service life of LED arrays is at least as long as that of the currently used
incandescent bulbs

(8) Whether any cities have switched from incandescent lights in their traffic signals to lighting elements other
than LED arrays

(C) Whether the company from which Traverton currently buys incandescent bulbs for traffic signals also sells
LED arrays

(0) Whether Traverton's city council plans to increase the number of traffic signal lights in Traverton

(E) Whether the crews that currently replace incandescent bulbs in Traverton's traffic signals know how to
convert the existing fixtures so as to accept LED arrays

OA [spoiler](A)[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:12 am
IMO (A)... Does anyone know the level this question would fall into? I'm thinking 500->600 Is this from the Official Guide or another source?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:13 am
money9111 wrote:IMO (A)... Does anyone know the level this question would fall into? I'm thinking 500->600 Is this from the Official Guide or another source?
600-700 I would assume
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:17 am
money9111 wrote:IMO (A)... Does anyone know the level this question would fall into? I'm thinking 500->600 Is this from the Official Guide or another source?
this is frm og 12

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:02 pm
komal wrote:Traverton's city council wants to minimize the city's average yearly expenditures on its traffic signal lights and so
is considering replacing the incandescent bulbs currently in use with arrays of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) as the
incandescent bulbs burn out. Compared to incandescent bulbs, LED arrays consume significantly less energy
and cost no more to purchase. Moreover, the costs associated with the conversion of existing fixtures so as to
accept LED arrays would be minimal.

Which of the following would it be most useful to know in determining whether switching to LED arrays would be
likely to help minimize Traverton's yearly maintenance costs?

(A) Whether the expected service life of LED arrays is at least as long as that of the currently used
incandescent bulbs
If LEDs last 1/3rd of the time and cost 1/2 of the bulbs it would still be futile to purchase them.

(8) Whether any cities have switched from incandescent lights in their traffic signals to lighting elements other
than LED arrays - Doesnt matter(Just a matter of convenience)

(C) Whether the company from which Traverton currently buys incandescent bulbs for traffic signals also sells
LED arrays . What The Heck , they can also buy from some other company.

(0) Whether Traverton's city council plans to increase the number of traffic signal lights in Traverton.[No. of lights does not matter as long as we don't know about the LEDs life and their cost]

(E) Whether the crews that currently replace incandescent bulbs in Traverton's traffic signals know how to
convert the existing fixtures so as to accept LED arrays.[They can hire other crew company ,so unrelated statement]

OA [spoiler](A)[/spoiler]
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:52 pm
if this is 600-700 level, I think I can score at the vest least.. in the high 600's on my next CAT exam! ::crossing fingers::
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants