256 _SentenceCorrectionBible_10

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

256 _SentenceCorrectionBible_10

by gmatmachoman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:24 am
During the eighteenth century, widespread changes in agriculture, known as the agrarian
revolution, involving the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields, of new farming
techniques and crops, and
the substitution of commercial for subsistence farming.

A. revolution, involving the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields, of new
farming techniques and crops, and

B. revolution, involved the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields and of new

C. revolution, which involved the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields and of
new farming techniques and crops, and

D. revolution involved the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields, new farming
techniques and crops, and of

E. revolution that involved the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields and new
farming techniques and crops, and of

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:11 am
gmatmachoman wrote:During the eighteenth century, widespread changes in agriculture, known as the agrarian
revolution, involving the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields, of new farming
techniques and crops, and
the substitution of commercial for subsistence farming.

A. revolution, involving the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields, of new

B. revolution, involved the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields and of new

C. revolution, which involved the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields and of
new farming techniques and crops, and

D. revolution involved the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields, new farming
techniques and crops, and of

E. revolution that involved the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields and new
farming techniques and crops, and of
I would stake on B

A- does not have a verb in the sentence which can denote any action. Hence, we cannot find the subject under discussion.--ruled out.

B- "involved" is the verb indicating two actions
1) involved the introduction of enclosed fields and of new farming techniques
2)involved the substitution of commercial.........

both are correctly joined by "and"

C- same reason as A

D - "of" after "and" resembles incorrect parallelism. Also comma is necessary after revolution. --ruled out

E -same reason as A
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:18 am
IMO : B
I was stuck b/w B and D but I will go with D.

In B, after comma the second part straight-away starts with 'involved'. I felt comma is breaking the entire flow of sentence. On close analysis, I see that widespread changes in agriculture is connected with involved the large-scale introduction and known as the agrarian revolution is only a modifier.

During the eighteenth century, widespread changes in agriculture involved the large-scale introduction of enclosed fields and of new farming techniques and crops, and the substitution of commercial for subsistence farming.

If we remove 'known as the agrarian revolution' and read it looks perfect.

In D, I suspect and crops, and of usage of 'OF'