Julia, whom with single

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Julia, whom with single

by shashank.ism » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:31 am
Julia, whom with single minded determination to fight against all odds has showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy due to his family's unstable financial conditions.

a)Julia, whom with single minded determination to fight against all odds has showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy
b)Julia, in whose single minded determination to fight against all odds has showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy
c)Julia, whose single minded determination to fight against all odds have showered upon her success, fame and money, continue to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is under jeopardy
d)Julia, whose single minded determination to fight against all odds has showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy
e)Julia, whose single minded determination to fight against all odds have showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy

The OA is C

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:15 am
shashank.ism wrote:Julia, whom with single minded determination to fight against all odds has showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy due to his family's unstable financial conditions.

a)Julia, whom with single minded determination to fight against all odds has showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy
Incorrect : "whom" is incorrect. Hence A can be ruled out in the first shot.

b)Julia, in whose single minded determination to fight against all odds has showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy
Incorrect : Here "whose" does not indicate about the subject "Julia" . Hence can be ruled out straight forward.

c)Julia, whose single minded determination to fight against all odds have showered upon her success, fame and money, continue to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is under jeopardy
Correct : Here "whose single............" is indicated about the subject "Julia" with a comma before whose. This ends with a comma after money. After that the subject is continued and completed.
For ex : Martin, whose humor is incredible, joins the party.

d)Julia, whose single minded determination to fight against all odds has showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy
Incorrect : "future" is abstract noun - we can't touch or feel future. So how can "future" be in something? Not possible

e)Julia, whose single minded determination to fight against all odds have showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy
Incorrect: same reason as D

The OA is C
We can say - Martin is in a trouble/Jeopardy.
but we cannot say- His future is in a trouble/Jeopardy.
Future is an abstract noun here
we should say - his future is under trouble.
Hope this helps!
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

Legendary Member

by bhumika.k.shah » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:16 am
i think D is wrong coz it uses has instead of have.

against all odds HAVE

Legendary Member

by bhumika.k.shah » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:18 am

e)Julia, whose single minded determination to fight against all odds have showered upon her success, fame and money, continueS to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy

Subject verb agreement error noticed in E

Hence i'd go with C :)

by akahuja143 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:34 am
I agree with bhumika.k.shah go with C

whose single minded determination [Subject]to fight against all odds have [Verb] showered upon her success

by hrishi19884 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:33 am
bhumika.k.shah wrote:i think D is wrong coz it uses has instead of have.

against all odds HAVE

I didn't say D is right. In fact no one said D is right. Whats with you?
Hrishi

Legendary Member

by bhumika.k.shah » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:37 am
I meant to say D is wrong for the right reason.
hrishi19884 wrote:
bhumika.k.shah wrote:i think D is wrong coz it uses has instead of have.

against all odds HAVE

I didn't say D is right. In fact no one said D is right. Whats with you?

by prinit » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:50 am
shashank.ism wrote:Julia, whom with single minded determination to fight against all odds has showered upon her success, fame and money, continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy due to his family's unstable financial conditions.

The OA is C
My pick is D.
lets break the whole sentence in parts:
Julia, whose single minded determination to fight against all odds has showered upon her success, fame and money >> correct modifier.. its not all odds but her single minded determination...so SV agreement, fits the bill.

continues to impress and inspire every student who feels that his future is in jeopardy>> perfect use of modifier..it is Julia who continues to impress and inspire every student >> perfect comparison of items on both side and hence forming perfect parallelism.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:54 am

The OA is C
What is the source of this question? It can't be an official GMAT question.
For answer choice C, what is the subject that goes with "continue?" Presumably it's Julia, which means we have a singular subject (Julia) with a plural verb (continue).
Also, I'm assuming that his refers to every student. I doubt that the GMAT test developer would use a masculine pronoun in this situation, since students can be both male and female.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by prinit » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 am
Brent Hanneson wrote:

The OA is C
For answer choice C, what is the subject that goes with "continue?" Presumably it's Julia, which means we have a singular subject (Julia) with a plural verb (continue).
Also, I'm assuming that his refers to every student. I doubt that the GMAT test developer would use a masculine pronoun in this situation, since students can be both male and female.
Thanks for bringing in Notice >>usage of masculine pronoun in this situation

by gauravgundal » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:10 am
Don't refer this question .It may confuse you alot.

Legendary Member

by shashank.ism » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:26 am
Brent Hanneson wrote:
Actually I found this question when I was trying one of the test on complore. I was very confused in this question whether the correct answer would be 'C' or 'D' . They give the answer as 'D'. but I was not satisfied, so I try to find the question on other forums and ultimately I got the ans as 'C'.

So I put the question here and same confusion goes on whether the ans is 'C' or 'D'.

Well according to me 'C' is correct if continue is changed to continues which you have clearly pointed out.
I am also a bit confused with the ans 'D', whether has / have is correct.

Brent will you throw some light on this and can give what could be the correct sentence assuming 'none of these' is correct.
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.

Legendary Member

by shashank.ism » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:30 am
Well gaurav, prinit, hrishi, bhumika, aka..etc... sorry for posting a bit confusing question.
But if we get correct sentence from any of the instructor, this question would prove to be very good a lots of concept is being involved in this question.
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.

by hrishi19884 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:25 pm
shashank.ism wrote:Well gaurav, prinit, hrishi, bhumika, aka..etc... sorry for posting a bit confusing question.
But if we get correct sentence from any of the instructor, this question would prove to be very good a lots of concept is being involved in this question.
No need to feel sorry bro...you are going a fabulous job! I am with you.
Hrishi