Analysis of an argument [Please provide feedback]

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
The following appeared in a report presented for discussion at a meeting of the directors of a company that manufactures parts for heavy machinery:

"The falling revenues that the company is experiencing coincide with delays in manufacturing. These delays, in turn, are due in large part to poor planning in purchasing metals. Consider further that the manager of the department that handles purchasing of raw materials has an excellent background in general business, psychology, and sociology, but knows little about the properties of metals. The company should, therefore, move the purchasing manager to the sales department and bring in a scientist from the research division to be manager of the purchasing department."

Discuss how well reasoned . . . etc.

The author concludes that the company move the purchasing manager to the sales department and bring in a scientist from the research division to be the manager of the purchasing department. The author's line of reasoning is that the manager that handles the purchasing of metals lacks sufficient knowledge about the properties of metals and this lack of knowledge causes poor planning in purchasing metals, and loss in revenues. The argument is problematic for various reasons.

First of all, the author's reasoning seems to rely on a casual connection between lack of sufficient knowledge of the properties of metals and poor planning in purchasing metals. The reasoning would have been more convincing if the report highlighted some of poor decisions taken by the purchasing manager. One possible alternate assumption is that the delays in manufacturing were caused because there was a huge between demand and supply of metals.
Secondly the author assumes that the purchasing manager's excellent background in general business, psychology, and sociology does little to help him on purchasing decisions. Again, however there is no reasoning to support this assumption. On the contrary, purchasing decisions are considered logistical functions and in depth knowledge about the product is rarely required by the people working in sales or purchase departments.

Finally, the author fails to consider whether a scientist alone will be able to handle the purchasing department. There is no doubt that the scientist's knowledge on the properties of metals would be much more than the purchasing manager's knowledge but the scientist may lack sufficient negotiation and planning skills, which are extremely handy when it comes to buying decisions. Because the author's argument fails to identify how a scientist would handle such management decisions, it is impossible to assess the persuasiveness of the argument.

In conclusion, the argument is unconvincing as it stands. The author needs to provide solid evidence to support his conclusion that a scientist will be able to identify the gaps in poor planning decisions. Additionally the author needs to draw some stats to conclude that the purchasing manager's lack of knowledge about the properties of metals is the real cause behind the delays in manufacturing. Without this additional information, the argument lacks several key issues that could make the argument more thorough and convincing.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:46 am
You're getting better, first time I've liked one of your intros.
First paragraph is good. I like this essay so far.

"Finally, the author fails to consider whether a scientist alone will be able to handle the purchasing department."
This needs to be more concrete. Reword and make it clearer.

"There is no doubt that the scientist's knowledge on the properties of metals would be much more than the purchasing manager's knowledge but the scientist may lack sufficient negotiation and planning skills, which are extremely handy when it comes to buying decisions."

This needs to be reworded, its awkward and could be more concise.

Stop using "unconvincing"

Overall, the essay is the best one I've read from you. You started off very strong, the last two paragraphs need to be improved though.

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:13 pm
Thanks I'll write more and post it. Thanks again :-)
osirus0830 wrote:You're getting better, first time I've liked one of your intros.
First paragraph is good. I like this essay so far.

"Finally, the author fails to consider whether a scientist alone will be able to handle the purchasing department."
This needs to be more concrete. Reword and make it clearer.

"There is no doubt that the scientist's knowledge on the properties of metals would be much more than the purchasing manager's knowledge but the scientist may lack sufficient negotiation and planning skills, which are extremely handy when it comes to buying decisions."

This needs to be reworded, its awkward and could be more concise.

Stop using "unconvincing"

Overall, the essay is the best one I've read from you. You started off very strong, the last two paragraphs need to be improved though.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:24 am
Just so you guys know who's analyzing your essays. I got my score report from GMAC today. I got a 5.5 on the AWAs. Just wanted to tell you guys so you have a frame of reference for my own writing ability.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by hrishi19884 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:46 am
osirus0830 wrote:Just so you guys know who's analyzing your essays. I got my score report from GMAC today. I got a 5.5 on the AWAs. Just wanted to tell you guys so you have a frame of reference for my own writing ability.
I heard that there are two checks in AWA

1 - by the computer program that checks the grammatical and punctuation errors, length and other technicalities and give you a score out of 6 accordingly.

2- by the senior professors in the university who check what points you have mentioned and covered and if they are related to the topic or question given and they give you score out of 6 accordingly.

The average score is the average of both the score that you get - final score is +0.5 or -0.5 of the average score.

So you find people getting 5.5 or 5 or 4.5 or 4 but never 4.34 or 5.25 etc.

This is just the way I studied somewhere for scoring system of AWA.

But still the actual scoring pattern is a black box that only GMAC knows and it is better that we should not spend time in finding the actual process of score calculation.
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:48 am
Yeah, I don't actually care about the score. I just wanted people to know in case they ever wondered what score I received since I'm the only person that analyzes essays in this forum.
hrishi19884 wrote:
osirus0830 wrote:Just so you guys know who's analyzing your essays. I got my score report from GMAC today. I got a 5.5 on the AWAs. Just wanted to tell you guys so you have a frame of reference for my own writing ability.

1 - by the computer program that checks the grammatical and punctuation errors, length and other technicalities and give you a score out of 6 accordingly.

2- by the senior professors in the university who check what points you have mentioned and covered and if they are related to the topic or question given and they give you score out of 6 accordingly.

The average score is the average of both the score that you get - final score is +0.5 or -0.5 of the average score.

But still the actual scoring pattern is a black box that only GMAC knows and it is better that we should not spend time in finding the actual process of score calculation.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

by hrishi19884 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:50 am
osirus0830 wrote:Yeah, I don't actually care about the score. I just wanted people to know in case they ever wondered what score I received since I'm the only person that analyzes essays in this forum.
hrishi19884 wrote:

Thanks....you are a Rockstar buddy!
Hrishi

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:51 am
LOL...thanks for the kind words, but I failed miserably on this exam :(
hrishi19884 wrote:
osirus0830 wrote:Yeah, I don't actually care about the score. I just wanted people to know in case they ever wondered what score I received since I'm the only person that analyzes essays in this forum.
hrishi19884 wrote:

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

by hrishi19884 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:09 am
osirus0830 wrote:LOL...thanks for the kind words, but I failed miserably on this exam :(
hrishi19884 wrote:
hrishi19884 wrote:

You are not the only one bro......I too failed badly in ny second attempt. I have my 3rd and the last one next month.
I am really scared. It's a do or die situation for me :( ......Now or never. Need to work hard buddy....thanks for the support so far!
Hrishi

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:44 am
you will do well. Don't allow nerves to steal your moment.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

by hrishi19884 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:09 am
osirus0830 wrote:you will do well. Don't allow nerves to steal your moment.
bang!! you have hit on the target.....I was doing that before in my tests ....I was overconfident of getting a big score ..that pulled me back each time....I have to keep my mind steady this time.
Hrishi

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 pm
Guys I am going through the same phase..I had two attempts at the GMAT. I have prepared for my 3rd attempt but at the end of the day sometimes I do feel scared.

Let's see...what happens.

by hrishi19884 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:32 pm
mehravikas wrote:Guys I am going through the same phase..I had two attempts at the GMAT. I have prepared for my 3rd attempt but at the end of the day sometimes I do feel scared.

Don't worry, just stay focus and work hard. You will do well. Most important is to stay calm whatever the result is. Sometimes we lose our mind in excitement, especially in the last half hour of the test and we lose marks in simple questions. Take care that this should not happen to you as each correct question matters a lot in your final score.
Hrishi

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:45 am
yeah thats what happened with me last time...i will control my nerves this time.
hrishi19884 wrote:
mehravikas wrote:Guys I am going through the same phase..I had two attempts at the GMAT. I have prepared for my 3rd attempt but at the end of the day sometimes I do feel scared.

Don't worry, just stay focus and work hard. You will do well. Most important is to stay calm whatever the result is. Sometimes we lose our mind in excitement, especially in the last half hour of the test and we lose marks in simple questions. Take care that this should not happen to you as each correct question matters a lot in your final score.