Analysis of an arugument essay

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Analysis of an arugument essay

by readsid » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:47 pm
"In general, people are not as concerned as they were a decade ago about regulating their intake of red meat and fatty cheeses. Walk into the Heart's Delight, a store that started selling organic fruits and vegetables and whole-grain flours in the 1960's, and you will also find a wide selection of cheeses made with high butterfat content. Next door, the owners of the Good Earth Café, an old vegetarian restaurant, are still making a modest living, but the owners of the new House of Beef across the street are millionaires."

in the above argument what is the conclusion of the argument.
and can someone please help, with the flow of the essay, how to go about the essay what points can i use. can i defend the argument or state reason against it...
can someone a few pointers in support the argument and against the argument??
i also need tips on ... i develop a cold feet when it comes to essay...???
thanks
sid

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:29 am
The conclusion is "In general, people are not as concerned as they were a decade ago about regulating their intake of red meat and fatty cheeses."

My approach with the AWA is really simple. I write an intro paragraph, and then I write the concluding paragraph. I attempt to write 2-3 body paragraphs afterward. So for this prompt i would probably write an intro like this:

The author asserts that people are not as concerned about limiting their consumption of red meat as they were in years past. To support this claim s/he points to the owner of a steakhouse being milliionaries. I believe this argument is flawed because there are several factors that the author would have to account for in order to properly conclude that the success of the steakhouse is directly correlated with the public being less inclined to limit red meat intake. The author would need to disprove the possibility of other factors affecting the profitability of the steakhouse. For example, the author would have to illustrate that the steakhouse does not generate large revenues from drinks. Also, the author would need to prove that the health food stores prices are not more higher than the prices of the steakhouse.

Body paragraph one talking about how a bar could account for the steakhouse profits

Body paragraph two talking about the possible pricing differences between the healthy stores and the steak house. Use wholefoods being more expensive than Kroger as an example.

Conclusion, resteatment of the intro pargraph more or less.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by readsid » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:47 pm
thanks osirus gr8 help