Usage of "as" instead of "like" for prep

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Usage of "as" instead of "like" for prep

by pink_08 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:58 pm
Until now, I was under the impression that we use "like" for all phrases and nouns.

Examples ::

Bobby's eyes, like those of his brother Peter, are blue
Like peals jumping from one gene to another

But recently, I came across this sentence where "as" is used for prepositional phrases
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

Ron, I saw your comment that "as" is used for prepositional phrases. Is this an exception to the general rule that as is only used to introduce clauses. Also this sentence seemed to violate the rule that sentences containing "as" have two verbs ( atleast in a case like ellipsis ). I don't see ellipsis being employed here as well. Is this an exception to that norm as well

Please comment ?

pink

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:59 am
pink_08 wrote:Ron, I saw your comment that "as" is used for prepositional phrases. Is this an exception to the general rule that as is only used to introduce clauses.
well, you've got to remember that "as" is not ONLY used to introduce clauses. it is used:
(1) to introduce clauses;

(2) to introduce prepositional phrases (as in the problem you've posted) <-- note that "as" is used in this way HERE

(3) to state that a person/thing is acting in a particular function/capacity (see #49 in the OG11 or OG12 DIAGOSTIC section),

(4) in a COMPARISON ("as soft as a baby's skin"; "three times as loud as a rock concert")

--

it seems that you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. in general, if a particular word/phrase/construction can do thing #1, thing #2, thing #3, and thing #4, you should just memorize all four of these things separately - there's not much point in construing things #2, #3, and #4 as "exceptions to thing #1".
especially in the case of words like that and as - which have huge numbers of possible uses - that sort of approach is going to be unnecessarily painful.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 pm
going further with the comparison.. isn't it also true that "as" can't be used to compare two things? in that instance you should use like?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mmslf75 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:01 pm
money9111 wrote:going further with the comparison.. isn't it also true that "as" can't be used to compare two things? in that instance you should use like?
I guess,, yes LIKE is used to make comparisons

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:23 am
money9111 wrote:going further with the comparison.. isn't it also true that "as" can't be used to compare two things? in that instance you should use like?
LIKE vs AS is more of a grammatical issue than anything else.

when you make a comparison with LIKE, you're comparing nouns (or noun phrases, or anything else that acts like nouns). for instance, my brother is like my cousin.

when you make a comparison with AS, you're comparing actions/clauses or prepositional phrases.
alternatively, if you use the separate idiom as ADJ/ADV as..., then you're comparing the quality described by that ADJ/ADV.
for instance,
james has been accepted to several business schools, as has his twin brother.
in 1968, as in 1964, smith won three medals in the summer olympic games.
the baby's skin is as soft as chamois.

etc.

note that all of these sentences are, technically, "comparisons" (although, again, it's not the best idea to run around trying to stick labels on too many things).
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron