help required

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

help required

by swapna » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:08 pm
The pesticide Azocide, introduced to central valley farms three summers ago, has proven ineffective because other pesticides' chemical compositions already in wide use neutralizing its desired effect.

A.because other pesticides chemical compositions already in wide use

B.because of the chemical compositions of the pesticides already in wide use

C.due to other pesticides already in wide use, whose chemical compositions have been

D.since, due to the chemical compositions of the other pesticides already in use, those pesticides have been

E. because of other pesticides and their chemical compositions already in use, which have been

Ans is C

My doubt is how can whose replace pesticides...

I am working on petersons master the GMAT 2008. The content does nt really seem very great or nt sure if its too tough for my standards..????.If anyone has worked on this book earlier, can u please tell me if its worth going ahead with this book...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by prinit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:22 pm
swapna wrote:The pesticide Azocide, introduced to central valley farms three summers ago, has proven ineffective because other pesticides' chemical compositions already in wide use neutralizing its desired effect.

A.because other pesticides chemical compositions already in wide use

B.because of the chemical compositions of the pesticides already in wide use

C.due to other pesticides already in wide use, whose chemical compositions have been

D.since, due to the chemical compositions of the other pesticides already in use, those pesticides have been

E. because of other pesticides and their chemical compositions already in use, which have been

Ans is C

My doubt is how can whose replace pesticides...

I am working on petersons master the GMAT 2008. The content does nt really seem very great or nt sure if its too tough for my standards..????.If anyone has worked on this book earlier, can u please tell me if its worth going ahead with this book...
I have not read those books. But C is the best among the given choices.
>present continuous form is recommended here have been neutralizing
X has proven ineffective due to Y, whose chemical compositions have been neutralizing ...Whose correctly pointing to Y..hope this is helping.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by swapna » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:29 pm
hi, thanks...the tense makes sense to me..:-)but am some how still nt convinced how...whose can refer to pesticides...is there a rule??pls do specify

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mmslf75 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:26 pm
swapna wrote:hi, thanks...the tense makes sense to me..:-)but am some how still nt convinced how...whose can refer to pesticides...is there a rule??pls do specify
let me give u a tip here

IGNORE PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES

due to other pesticides already in wide use, whose chemical compositions have been