Please Rate My Issue Analysis Essay

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690

Please Rate My Issue Analysis Essay

by hiteshthegame » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:40 am
I am going to take the GMAT on march 10. This is the first essay I have written. Please rate this and give some feedback. Thank you so much.

The Question:

Following the Colorado massacre of schoolchildren, many lawmakers have proposed that an international body regulate the internet so that sites which provide information to terrorists should be eliminated. Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the above opinion. Support your opinion with reasons and examples.

The Answer:

Terrorism is, without a doubt, one of the widely prevalent curses that is casting a dark shadow on the whole world. And the myth of the terrorists being uneducated people with limited intellectual abilities has been wiped away by well organized devastations that made a huge impact on global economic as well as social front. A terrorist today is no longer a shabby, illiterate poor man trained to operate a gun and kill people, but more than that. Terrorists are engineers, scientists and even scholars who are well aware of technological and scientific breakthroughs. Even without a degree of any kind, they know enough to find sources of information on the internet and carry out their activities on their own.

Internet, which started of as a military project to help the signalling and information-sharing activities of the national forces, is now so widespread that even terrorists are using it for the same purposes. Terrorists and their accomplices all over the world put up online portals and websites to aid their brutal activities. The recent Colorado massacre of innocent school-children threw light on major evidences of internet being used as a social data sharing portal for terrorists. To prevent such events in the future, one proposal is to getting rid of the internet for the whole world. But considering the usefulness of it that has even led to some operations completely dependent on it, such a proposal in not feasible.

Therefore, I strongly agree that an international body should be created to monitor and even eliminate (in extreme cases) the websites which are found to be guilty of helping the terrorists achieve their cruel goals. Creation of an unbiased and global organisation has always help curb world problems in the past, and it will surely work in this case also. In subsequent paragraphs, I'll discuss a couple of examples that support my view.

During the time when colonial countries were getting free from imperialism and the world wars were coming to an end, there was chaos in the whole world. There were disputes over land and other resources. There were huge massacres within the colonies, like in India where thousand of people were killed in religious battles. The creation of United Nations, a global body, greatly helped in improving the peace and prosperity and solving matters. It still regularly monitors the global world activities to maintain calm and peace.

Considering an example much closer to the internet scenario, many companies employ the same strategy to improve its productivity. Employees working in technology oriented and even other huge firms have full time access to the internet. So, to prevent them from sharing any company confidential information with external elements, certain social portals and email programs are banned. This is done by a separate body employed by the company for this very purpose and it has immensely improved the situation.

To conclude, as the making of a regulatory body has helped to prevent sharing of critical information in various scenarios, the same can be positively expected to remedy the problem of terrorists using the internet for information. Therefore the need for an unbiased and international body to regulate the internet cannot be undermined.