Evaluation of Candidacy

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Evaluation of Candidacy

by bussy123 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:23 am
Hi,

GMAT: 710 with a breakdown of 83% quant and 87% verbal. Retake?

GPA: 3.4 GPA from Boston University majoring in International Business.

I have worked at a boutique real estate investment firm for 3 years and have gained more and more responsibility throughout my time here-working directly with our partners and traveling throughout the US to look at new potential acquisitions. I also oversee 6 properties and oversee about 1 million square feet--managing staffs in each of the buildings. My concerns are that it is not a name brand company and that, although my responsibilities and pay have increased throughout the years, there are no titles here so I guess I have not received an official "Promotion".

EC's Post College: I have also become a "team leader" in a local community service organization, volunteering fairly regularly-will have been volunteering for 1.5 yrs upon applying next fall. I plan on having led 3 different projects by the time I apply. I also am a member of the Urban Land Institute and the US Green Building Council. These are professional organizations but I have had minimal involvement.

Negative: Little to no EC's in college-but since have signed up for a few professional organizations and volunteer fairly regularly in the community service organization in which i have become a team leader. No real awards-except for one during an internship in college. Will the lack of involvement in undergrad kill my application.

Race: Caucasian

Age (at matriculation): 26

Anyway-my target schools are:

Duke- competitive?
Cornell-competitive?
Michigan- competitive?
Dartmouth-reach?
Georgetown-safety???
Columia-reach?
NYU Part Time- Safety?
Northwestern JD/MBA-Reach?

Thanks-

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:19 am
Your profile is impressive and would likely garner the attention of the schools you listed. Do not worry about a "no-name" firm--it's more important what you did there and it sounds like you could develop a compelling story of leadership and innovation. You will be applying from a big pool--namely caucasion male with business undergrad, but your GMAT is great (I would not retake) and your experience is robust. Good to apply to multiple schools as the environment is very competitive, but you definitely have a shot. Focus on differentiating yourself from the pack by highlighting the uniqueness of your work experience and how that will contribute in the classroom when solving cases or in group study.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bussy123 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 am
Thanks for the quick response. I guess my follow up question has to do with the generalization of the schools I put. I am trying to be smart about compiling a list of 6-8 schools and I am wondering if saying I have a "shot" refers more to the NWstern caliber or to the NYU PT/Georgetown caliber. It is important that I go to business school so I want to make sure my list includes 2 reaches 2 safety's and 4 realistic schools.

Thanks again for your response,

Bill

Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:47 pm
I agree yours is indeed a wise approach and when I say you have a shot, I meant at all 8 of those schools. Statistically, your odds of an admissions offer may increase as the individual school selectivity decreases, but with what I see from your stated profile, I would encourage you for schools in the top ten for sure. You may even want to swap a "safetly school" out for another top ten school.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options