Demographics, age and gender matter?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Demographics, age and gender matter?

by Mr_T » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:37 am
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how important are demographics, age and gender in a admission decision. It seems that schools always hover around the same % of international students, same % of women and average age.

If they do play a large role, in which case would someone have a better chance of gaining admittance?

Let's take my case for instance.
I'm a 27 year old male canadian (asian origin) . If schools shared the same requirements and criteria, would I have a better shot at a school in europe that has a low % of north americans or a school in Canada /US?
Also, do I have a better shot at a school where the average age is close to mine?

Also, is my professional background also play a part? Are some schools more difficult to get in for ITs? Where can I find that information?

Thanks,

Mr T

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 pm
The trick is to not be a small fish in a big pond. Since you are typically evaluated along with others with similar backgrounds, you can indeed inch out an advantage targeting schools that do not receive as many applications from folks with a similar profile. In your case, being Canadian is actually pretty unique both at US schools and European schools. Age does not really matter--they are more interested in your experience, so I would not make a decision based on average age. I would look at % applicants with similar professional background and target schools with low numbers for your career area.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by Mr_T » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 am
Thanks Bryant. That's great advice.

However, I am little surprise that there are not that many canadian applicants for U.S. programs. That's probably more true for business schools ranked outside the top 25 and located more in the south, no?

You mentioned about looking for schools that have a lower % of people in my professional field. Where can I obtain that type of information?

Thanks,

mr T

Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:40 am
good question. Most schools break down their applicants in myriad ways, one of which is usually which industry they hail from. If the info cannot be found on the school websites, it would be worthwhile to telephone the admissions office. I am not aware of a central place which would break down the top 20 or 30 schools according to this info unfortunately. This would be helpful for you I realize, so I will put my feelers out for resources.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by Mr_T » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:55 pm
Thanks Bryant!

If you can also find some info on some canadian and european universities, it would be great too.
I'll try to make some phone calls on my end.

mr T