Honest advice needed - low GMAT

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Honest advice needed - low GMAT

by stew123 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:39 pm
Good evening all,

I was wandering if someone could please offer some honest advice for an international applicant looking to apply to HBS for 2010 entry.

Stats
GPA: Converts to around 3.5
Pre MBA - Investment banker (3 years sales and trading)
Post MBA plans: Non-profit.
Extracurriculars: Extensive social and charity work/consistent leadership for 5 years
GMAT: 550 (retaking on 16 Jan)
Recommendations: Very strong,

Since being laid off from my job in Feb 2009, I set up my own non-profit organisation which has grown massively in the past year, into one the largest of its kind in my home country. I am particularly attracted to HBS because of its social enterprise programme.

I know the stumbling block is the GMAT. What I need to know is whether I have a fighting chance to gain admission if I don't get higher than 550.

I am applying for the second round deadline and would appreciate your thoughts.

Regards.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:21 pm
Hi Stew,

Your GPA, work experience and extracurricular activities sound great and are certainly on par with what HBS is looking for. While I'm sure it's safe to say that someone, somewhere along the way got into HBS with a 550, I would have to say that it is certainly not the norm. Given your background in investment banking the expectation will be that you score somewhere above 700+ as mos of your peers in the applicant pool will do so. I'm glad you plan to retake the GMAT tomorrow and I wish you the best of luck. While getting into HBS with a 550 isn't necessarily impossible, I wouldn't say the odds are terribly great.

Best of luck tomorrow!

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by stevieg » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:02 pm
Hi Stacy,

Thanks a lot for your e-mail.

I'm planning to apply with my highest GMAT score irrespective of what happens tomorrow. I've actually taken the GMAT 4 times but simply cannot get a score higher than 550. Do you think this will be held against me?

I will no doubt use the optional essay to explain why my GMAT is so low. I've taken some finance classes and calculus courses and have received A grades in both.

A lot of people are telling me to apply next year, and try to improve my GMAT score but I just feel that now is the time for me to apply to business school as I want to move into the non-profit and truly believe that HBS is the place to do this.

If only the GMAT wasn't such a potential deal breaker!

Best regards

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:40 pm
Hi Stew,

How did it go on Saturday?

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.