Honest advice needed - low GMAT

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Honest advice needed - low GMAT

by stew123 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 pm
Good evening all,

I was wandering if someone could please offer some honest advice for an international applicant looking to apply to HBS for 2010 entry.

Stats
GPA: Converts to around 3.5
Pre MBA - Investment banker (3 years sales and trading)
Post MBA plans: Non-profit.
Extracurriculars: Extensive social and charity work/consistent leadership for 5 years
GMAT: 550 (retaking on 16 Jan)
Recommendations: Very strong,

Since being laid off from my job in Feb 2009, I set up my own non-profit organisation which has grown massively in the past year, into one the largest of its kind in my home country. I am particularly attracted to HBS because of its social enterprise programme.

I know the stumbling block is the GMAT. What I need to know is whether I have a fighting chance to gain admission if I don't get higher than 550.

I am applying for the second round deadline and would appreciate your thoughts.

Regards.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:06 am
Dear stew123,

Possibly if the rest of your application is outstanding and makes a compelling case for your admission. Due to the size of the HBS class, the range of GMAT scores is quite big. However, the average does tend to be high meaning the majority of folks are still going to have score significantly higher than a 550. Thus you must present an application that makes the committee want to have you in the class as one of the few it takes below a 600. If you can get your score up to a 600+, I think your chances will improve quite a bit, but you will still need an otherwise stellar overall application.

Because HBS is highly selective, you might identify some other schools with a strong social entrepreneur/social responsibility curriculum where the GMAT average is lower and competition is not as fierce for admission.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me