Success Stories for Applying 3rd Round?

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Success Stories for Applying 3rd Round?

by mbahopeful10 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:10 am
I recently learned that there is a high probability that I will be getting laid off in the next couple of months. I have been thinking about going to school for a while now and this is the push I need to get serious about it.

I have taken the GMAT twice and have scored a 500 and a 560. Taking it again next month after some more dilligent prep work.

I have about 8 (including managerial experience) years of experience at the top company in my field and graduated from a state school with a B+ avg GPA. I also have a lot of volunteer experience so I consider myself a well-rounded candidiate.

I am getting conflicting advice whether or not there is a shot that I can get into good b-school if I apply 3rd round, but I do not want to sit out for a year. Obviously I will need to score higher on the GMAT, but am wondering if my efforts will be wasted.

Any encouragement or advice one can offer? Much appreciated!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:32 pm
Schools fill seats in their program throughout the admissions season with the bulk of the offers going out in the first and second round. There is some debate over whether first or second round is better, but make no mistake, either is better than third round. By the time third round opens up, most seats are filled (schools are under tremendous pressure to maximize their capacity and do not take the risk of "holding out" for a marginally better candidate if they have someone who will commit who has already submitted their application). While there are definitely still opportunities available, in the third round, schools are mostly looking to fill a niche or gap in the incoming class and are looking for a very specific applicant. If you happen to fit the need, lucky you! But odds are, even if you have a very competitive package, you will not make the proverbial cut in the third round because your profile lacks a specific characteristic that they feel will round out the class. Additionally, in the thrid round you are compared not only to other third round applicants, but also to everyone on their seemingly endless waiting list. Hate to be so negative, but especially given your below average GMAT score for top schools, you will likely be wasting your time and money trying for third round at top tier schools, Sorry!
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options