Please help - low GMAT

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please help - low GMAT

by stevieg » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:18 am
Hi all,

I am a British citizen aiming to apply ot Harvard.

I was working at a large investment bank until recently and want to move into non-profit. I have an average GPA 3.5. My extra-curricular activities are excellent and my recommendations will be very strong. I am sure of this.

Essentially, I feel my overall application is very strong apart from one thing - the dreaded GMAT.

At the moment I simply cannot get a score above 560 on practice tests. I am yet to sit the GMAT practice test. The scores I have got so far are

Knewton - 420
Manhttn CAT 1 - 430
Manhttn CAT 2 - 480
Manhttn CAT 3 - 560

I'm not a good test taker at these kind of tests and I'm really struggling. I think my application is strong bar my GMAT scores. I've spoken to admissions consultants and they all agree with this. I'm worried that if and when I sit my GMAT I will get such a low score that the HBS committee won't even look at my application.

Should I even bother applying if I don't get 600+?

Any advice would be really grateful.

Regards,

Jonathon Steven

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:58 am
Dear Jonathon,

I think you need to quit playing the "what if" game and move into action so you feel like you have control. HBS is a great school and it should be your top choice. Having said that, you are doing what you need to do to give yourself the best chance. Continue your preparation, schedule the test, and just take the GMAT. The score will be what it will be. If the rest of your application is strong, then let the admissions committee make its determination. HBS seats a large class and there are folks in that class every year who have GMAT scores under a 600--not many, but there are some. You could be one of them if the rest of your application makes a compelling case. In the meantime, you need to also identify a few other schools where you will have a better chance with a GMAT score in the 500-650 range. There are great programs out there that will offer a solid education and career connections.

So, it is time to stop letting the anxiety control you and start taking control over the situation. You have a lot to offer a business school. Be confident in your abilities and remember the GMAT is only one piece of the application.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by stevieg » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:43 am
Dear Lisa,

I can't thank you enough for your post. It's really given me some impetus.

I want to move into the non-profit sector afterwards and I'm hoping I can differentiate my application from others by doing something which has always been a passion.

I hope you don't mind if I keep you posted in how things go.

Best,

Jonathan

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:06 pm
Please do, Jonathon. Stay positive and don't give up!
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by stevieg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:06 pm
Hi Stacey,

I hope you are doing well.

You really do a great job on this forum!

As you may remember we spoke about a month back (see above post) regarding low GMAt issues vis a vis top 10 schools. So I took my GMAT last month and scored a lowly 540. I was naturally very dissapointed. I have rescheduled another test for 18th jan (one day before the HBS deadline).

Provided my GMAT isn't lower than 540, I am planning on applying to irrespective of the score. I know my chances are limited simply because of my low GMAT. However, at the same time I think there are unique aspects to my application also, which I think are demonstrated in my application and my essays. My recommendation are strong and my GPA is around 3.5.

Having read many of the posts on this website, it seems as thought the GMAT is the most important thing, particualrly given the competition thati s expected this year.

I just wandered what your thoughts were in regards to my overall candidacy and the low GMAT/HBS conumdrum.

Best,

Jonathan

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:42 am
Dear Jonathan,

I'm sorry to hear your GMAT did not turn out the way you wanted, but glad to see you are attempting to slay the beast again this weekend. I do think you should go ahead and apply with your highest score, whether it is a 540 or higher. The GMAT is not the most important part of the application despite the impression most people get from forums and rankings. Your previous academic performance, work experience/track record, career goals/rationale for an MBA, and recommendations are equally as important. Likewise, your interview can play a significant role in the decision. So, while your GMAT score might be on the low end of the HBS range, you do have the rest of the application to make your case to be admitted.

Regardless of profile though, it is important for MBA applicants to apply to a mix of schools. In addition to HBS, I do hope you have identified some other programs you feel are a good match for you and plan to apply there as well.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me