To guess or not to guess

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

To guess or not to guess

by MBAorBust » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:44 pm
Hi all,
If you don't know the answer right away lets say after a minute or two, is it better to continue working and try to get the answer correct and risk not finishing the exam? Or is it better to just make an educated guess and continue? Let me know what you all think...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vivecan2005 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:48 pm
MBAorBust wrote:Hi all,
If you don't know the answer right away lets say after a minute or two, is it better to continue working and try to get the answer correct and risk not finishing the exam? Or is it better to just make an educated guess and continue? Let me know what you all think...
It is actually a great question. The Answer will be a typical Harvard style "It depends". Sometimes you get stuck on few questions before exam ends and you have enough time, in that case you may take more time. In other circumstance answer will be no. Just guess smartly and move on.
The first situation is rare and happens once in a while where you have done alsmost all questions and few left and you have plenty of time.

Good luck for you GMAT

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:200

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by MBAorBust » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:26 pm
Thanks guys! very insightful, I think I will adopt the strategy of making educated guesses past two minutes.