Took GMAT, Disappointed 560(42Q, 26V)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Took GMAT, Disappointed 560(42Q, 26V)

by savagec318 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:46 pm
I just came back from taking the GMAT and I am quite disappointed with my verbal score. I've taken both GMAT prep tests, and all 6 MGMAT tests, and never scored below a 33 on Verbal, but during this test, I got a measly 26. My Quant usually was in the 42-44 range, so I wasn't disappointed about that. I actually thought that I did very bad on Quant, and good on Verbal. I'm trying to figure out what messed me up so badly. Usually during the practice tests, I skip the AWA section, and go straight to the Quant and Verbal sections. Maybe I burnt out when I arrived at the Verbal section. Also, I've never drank coffee when I studied, but I had some before the GMAT today. It's been killing me to why I did so poorly on verbal in the actual gmat. Anyone have ideas?

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:13 am
Most test prep experts argue that when you practice, you really need to do your best to mimic test day conditions. This is probably why your scores were slightly inflated, while stress probably helps explain the rest of the difference. My advice is to try and take tests in simulated conditions - AWA is not important, but it takes a toll on your system, so to speak.

Another thing to remember is that you should not change your habits for the big day. Some people go so far as to suggest that you should take practice tests at the very same hour of the day that you'd be taking the real thing. Drinking coffee might also explain why you underperformed.

by kiddles » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:00 pm
Wow. Seems like we're in almost the same boat. Check out my post here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/700s-in-prac ... 49775.html

I'm trying to setup my strategy for my next test so I can get back to the regime again in the new year. Verbals are definitely my weak spot, so I'm going to be focusing on those. From what I've read on the forum, the following books seem highly recommended:

1. Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible - Apparently awesome from CR and RC questions.
2. MGMAT SC Guide - I've used this over the past few months and it's made my SC accuracy rate improve from about 50% to 80%.
3. Powerscore LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible - just as the previous post says, LSAT verbal questions are much harder than the GMAT's, so I'm definitely going to try this one out.

I've also ordered the Economist to read at least 30 minutes per day - where I'll summarize each paragraph and try to link them all together to help with comprehension. I definitely struggle with summarizing RC questions in a consise and accurate manor.

I think I got stupid nervous... I'm gonna take 2 months or so to write the next one.
Any thoughts?

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:58 pm
I think you're on the right track, but don't forget to get both OGs, the general one and the verbal one. They're the best resource for practice, because of several reasons:
1. official questions, from the creators of the test
2. patterns from the OGs repeat on test day (I saw one CR that had the exact same reasoning as one from the OG)
3. best quality questions, with clean cut answers and great explanations.

One side note: the newest edition of the MGMAT SC guide references the OG 12, but the verbal OG first edition. Be sure to take this into account when shopping!

by kiddles » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:38 pm
Thanks for the great reply DanaJ. I'll be sure to incorporate both OGs into my verbal study. Cheers.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Lattefah84 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:30 am
DanaJ wrote:I think you're on the right track, but don't forget to get both OGs, the general one and the verbal one. They're the best resource for practice, because of several reasons:
1. official questions, from the creators of the test
2. patterns from the OGs repeat on test day (I saw one CR that had the exact same reasoning as one from the OG)
3. best quality questions, with clean cut answers and great explanations.

One side note: the newest edition of the MGMAT SC guide references the OG 12, but the verbal OG first edition. Be sure to take this into account when shopping!
do you find the 3 official guides enough for preparing for the test at all?

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:11 am
The books are certainly the best when it comes to practice, but they are a bit lacking in difficult problems. If you're shooting for a 720+, you will need to supplement them with some other resource. Of course, the OGs are sub par when it comes to strategies, so you will need to get your hands on some other books for tips and strategies.

by Lattefah84 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:28 am
DanaJ wrote:The books are certainly the best when it comes to practice, but they are a bit lacking in difficult problems. If you're shooting for a 720+, you will need to supplement them with some other resource. Of course, the OGs are sub par when it comes to strategies, so you will need to get your hands on some other books for tips and strategies.
hmm I actually don't need some high score. I need minimum of 450. But anyway I have difficulties, I'm so nervous when I can't get something wright...

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:38 am
If it's a minimum of 450 you're looking for, then don't worry about practice: everything you will need is covered by the OGs. Invest in some other book for strategies, like the Manhattan GMAT series or the Kaplan Workbooks.

by Lattefah84 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:53 am
DanaJ wrote:If it's a minimum of 450 you're looking for, then don't worry about practice: everything you will need is covered by the OGs. Invest in some other book for strategies, like the Manhattan GMAT series or the Kaplan Workbooks.
oh, thank you very much :)