700(50Q,34V) in 7 weeks!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

700(50Q,34V) in 7 weeks!

by madbee » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:57 am
Oct 12th, Hyderabad.

Yes, I am done with the Gmat CAT and I'm more than happy with my score. This is my first post and may be the last too. After taking so much of inspiration from you all i am obliged to post my own experience of the big CAT-Gmat. A 50 in Quant was more unexpected than a mere 34 in Verbal :? Till now I have not seen any post on a score of 700 and that made me even more surprised. Finally I know it is a very unbalanced score yet I am glad to be in elite Club of 700s.
Around August 15 th roughly I started from "what is meant by a Computer-Adaptive Gmat" till yesterday when I felt relieved seeing the score. It took me almost till Sept 1st to form an idea of the exam. Since I am working full time with Central Government I had to go on leave for 40 days to both start and also finish off with my preperation.
And from there I started preparing half-seriously thinking that it is rare for any one monther to score 700 or +. I had no OG11, no Princeton, no Kalpan, all I had was tons of material downloaded from the net. The ones I found most helpful however, were the 1000s and postings of all you people in Beatthegmat!! Really!!
So you should be knowing how indebted I am to all of you out there who made it possible and I deserve nothing. I know that I am sounding proud for "not a big achievement", but I find it important to post this part of my experience because I want others who have little time for preparation to take courage and inspiration from my own experience.
I did some 550 SCs from the 1000 till I was getting an 80% accuracy. I did not concentrate on my CR because I was quite confident in that. RC was however my nightmare and I kept evading the 1000 RCs out of fear and worse still is the fact that my score in RC has not improved unlike in others even after constant practice. For Quant and DS I did some IMS material(CAT) and felt that it is more than sufficient. My scores in various tests were:

1.21.09.06 PP1 - 620(47Q, 29V)
2.22.09.06 PP2 - 680(48Q, 35V)
3.28.09.06 PP1(retake) -650(49Q, 31V)
4.07.10.06 PP2(retake) -740(51Q, 38V)
5.80.10.06 Gmatprep1 -670(47Q, 35V)
6.09.10.06 Gmatprep2 -690(47Q, 38V)
7.10.10.06 Gmatprep1(retake)710(50Q, 37V)

11/10/02 GMAT- -700(50Q, 34V)

So anyone who is weak in Verbal or who scored a low on Gmatprep should not panic, as I have, because the Gmatprep score is not the maximum one can score and from my own experience those who take Gmatprep without much practice like me, have more chances of improving their scoring on the real Gmat.
Finally I understand that the lesser the length of the schedule of one's preparation, the more effective is your effort. So, dont worry and just bang the Gmat immediately!!
All the Best and Thanks a ton. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: 700(50Q,34V) in 7 weeks!

by aim-wsc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:09 am
first of all congrats on getting 700!
madbee wrote: I had no OG11, no Princeton, no Kalpan, all I had was tons of material downloaded from the net. The ones I found most helpful however, were the 1000s and postings of all you people in Beatthegmat!! Really!!

i have been looking for this post & this line from an elite seven hundredian :D
you simply proved it.

Cooldude, note this point. and fortify it with your score. beat the GMAT! man!

So you should be knowing how indebted I am to all of you out there who made it possible and I deserve nothing. I know that I am sounding proud for "not a big achievement"
it is an achievement indeed buddy.
This is my first post and may be the last too.
hey! dont say that, buddy!

this cant be your last post :(

afterall, whats the use of such forum boards.?

Sharing the experiences gaining first hand knowledge asking for help /// doubt on somebodys arguments....oh i can go on & on participating in forum boards can be so much fun yet profitable than just reading others posts.

yeah as you said you had gained a lot from just reading others posts but you could have gained much more!!...

Now its time for application business & i am sure members here give some input if you need any.

so never say goodbye.
all the best!!

by madbee » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:24 am
Hey thanks aim-wsc!!

you caught me there! Sure I need your help for the applications part. i will have to ask Stacy for the needful.

Will Never say Gudbye again.
:wink:

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 am
do tell us : whats the percentile figure for 34V these days

by madbee » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:24 am
oh! sorry i got a 95%ile in Quant, 71%ile in Verbal and 92%ile overall.