A very painful and terrible experience

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

A very painful and terrible experience

by Shadow » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:50 pm
Hi Pals,

This post would be something different from those that have been posted so far in this forum.

I had my GMAT scheduled on september 17th. On the way to the test centre, i met with a minor accident that made me upset and the fear was clinching in.

With that piece of mind, i went and gave the test. First was AWA, i was very comfortable with the essays but didn have time to complete it and so ended them abruptly.(since i was tensed)

After then took the 10 min brk to cool myself. But couldnt. The first three questions on quans were very easy and when i saw the fourth one i was going for a guess. On later part i could see easy questions coming up and so i knew that i have done the section very badly.

Verbal section - initially started with a CR followed by SC and then the 6 th question was an RC. I thought i did it well.

I was really shocked to see a 370 (very very poor score. Even a person who hasnt prepared for GMAT would have got a score more than me.) that made me lot more upset. Mainly because i have been preparing for four months and took gmat prep tests and scored between 660 and 690.

I am really upset but when i take up the exam next time and even if i manage to score a 700+, my score history would have my previous score. MBA is my dream. Will this poor score in the history of scores affect or be a hurdle ant stop me from pursuing an MBA.

Please share me your true views. I would feel better.

Everything spoiled because i met with the minor accident. I pray that such things dont happen to anyone. The day was not for me!!!

I learnt that only with a calm and peaceful mind, we can achieve a good score. Dont know what god has in store for me.

I am really worried if this poor score that will be in my gmat history will affect me. Please share your true thoughts.

Many thanks.
Last edited by Shadow on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Re: A very painful experience

by sriram » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:00 pm
Hi Shadow,
I too got a score of 490 which was totally unexpected.
I have heard from many people that schools see the amount of improvement you have shown between two attempts. So you would be at an advantage if you score a 700 and that will be taken in a positive sense.

So, don't worry..Prepare well and get a 700 !

All the best !

by Shadow » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:06 pm
hi sriram,

Thanks for the information.

i wouldnt stop working towards my dream. I will make it next time.

Jus wanted to share my experience to a many in the forum. Such things shouldnt happen to anyone.

I was much worried about the score history coz 370 is not even half the total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sachinzeus » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:53 pm
dont worry shadow.....ppl have good days and bad........im sure u ll score way over 700 the next time you give the test, and when you do, the schools will be sure to see the huge jump and take it as a positive sign.

till then i suggest you get working on your extra curriculars......i soo wish I had done more....

by Shadow » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:01 am
Thanks sachinzeus.

You people are really motivating and driving me ahead..Thanks a ton.

As you say i would focus on enhancing my profile along with my preparation.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

by hopefully » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:49 am
Hi Shadow,

What i feel is that u shud not have too much time gap in between your 2 dates...
This is because if you improve a lot and there is a time gap then the Adcom may think that u actually have improved.. which is good only to an extent bcoz your poor performance will be there..

However if u give next exam soon then u can always convince in ur interview and or essays that first one was indded and accident and that ur candidature should be considered excluding that bad experience ..

Again, this is my personal opinion...

Take care

ATB
Live every moment ...

<a href="https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.ph ... target=new> My 730 </a>

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by stoic74 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:22 am
Hi,
I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

Please prepare well and attempt the exam again. You will find that many schools select the best GMAT score. So, do not waste your energy focusing on the old score. Infact, your GMAT score improvement will be a nice story for you to add to your application essay!

Create a study plan and follow the relaxation techniques mentioned on this site. I am sure you will improve. Good luck.

Stoic74

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:14 pm
Hi Shadow:

Thank you for sharing your experience with us--and I'm so sorry to hear about your upsetting day. :(

Don't give up on your MBA dreams just because of one test. If I were you, I would address this first test explicitly in your application explaining you were in an accident and were not in good shape during the exam--it's a valid point to raise.

Work hard and practice hard, and retake that test! If you need help you can always lean on this community for support--that's why we are here.

Best of luck to you!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:09 pm
Glad to support you--don't give up!