Unemployed effect on MBA App

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Unemployed effect on MBA App

by Victor Creed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:56 pm
Hi,
I was wondering how important is it to be employed while submitting application?
I am planning to apply for MBA/MIS dual degree programs in US (currently in US)
I have a BS, MS (US) in engineering with 4 yrs of work experience, but have been unemployed for more than 6 months. How does unemployment effect the application? How can i address this in the application? What can I do to improve my profile in that area? I was planning to take up a volunteer job in a non-profit organization. Does this help? Any other suggestions?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:40 pm
i was unemployed for 2 months at the time of my application (now 4 months). i didn't focus too much attention to it, other than a quick mention in one of my essays. if you are not involved in any activities, definitely start ASAP, as they will want to see that you are not sitting idly while unemployed.
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Victor Creed » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:06 pm
shadowsjc wrote:i was unemployed for 2 months at the time of my application (now 4 months). i didn't focus too much attention to it, other than a quick mention in one of my essays. if you are not involved in any activities, definitely start ASAP, as they will want to see that you are not sitting idly while unemployed.
Thanks for your advice. Is it OK if I start working fulltime for a non-profit though it may not be technology related, does it matter to admission committee? Maybe I can try for a leadership kind of role.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SkyMann » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 pm
shadowsjc,

As other contributors have noted, it is in your best interest to show that you have been actively pursuing something product, even if unemployed. Volunteer work is a great way to work toward a leadership role, not to mention the altruistic aspect of it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a nonprofit, unless this is an area that you are passionate about. Work/volunteer/participate in something that you are passion about and can excel with. It will prepare you with great fodder for your essays. Have you considered what you might write about?

Good luck,
Schuyler Mann
MBA Admissions Consultant
Ivy App Success

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jai1902 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:51 am
I have 3 years full-time Work-Experience in manufacturing industry and GMAT 700.

During these 3 years, I also worked for rural self-help group in nearby village and helped them gain skills and awareness to start semi-skilled activities as business in their village.

Will it be better for me if I get attached to any NGO at earliest?

Thanks in advance for replies :)
Last edited by jai1902 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:29 pm
usually what candidates fail to understand is that when adcoms are evaluating candidates.. they're asking themselves - is this person employable. So think to yourself... will an employer look at this candidate and wonder "why didn't this person work for 6 months?" so yes, it's in your best interest to do something and then be prepared to explain why you did and why and the impact that it had on you.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:47 pm
Just got an email alert about this thread - talk about a throwback! haha. Figured I'd chime in and give my 2 cents now that I've gone through the whole process from start to finish:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was indeed unemployed at the time of my apps, but I addressed it in my essays and interviews and did not dwell on it (i.e. I did not devote an entire paragraph or essay to it; rather, I just wrote 1 or 2 lines about it, but instead focused on how being unemployed was making me more determined to succeed, etc. etc.)

I don't think the job situation affected my apps because I was invited to interview everywhere I applied. I do agree that someone's "hirability" plays a huge part in the admissions process, as it will definitely come up in interviews later on (both for internships and full time jobs).

One way I kept myself busy in the period of time between applications and b-school was by attending various pre MBA conferences for the field I had an interest in (financial services). For example, many investment banks will hold 1 or 2 day conferences for pre-MBA students, where you get to learn about the industry, sit in on workshops, and network with professionals. I attended a couple of these and it showed that I had an interest in the field; there were similar conferences for marketing and consulting as well. The key is that there are application deadlines for these conferences, so it takes a bit of planning to do.

Anyway, good luck to all in the same boat, and if you find yourself worrying about this, just make sure you fill that gap productively (volunteer, tutor, etc.)
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7

Followed by:8 members

by charu_mahajan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:47 am
Hello shadowsjc,

Can you please tell us more about the pre-MBA conferences. i did try to google but could not find much information.
Can you please tell us which all did you attend or recommend for financial services.

Thanks in advance !!