Yesssssss! - 720, Q47, V41, 94th percentile

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Since I started studying for GMAT almost exactly two months ago, I've been dreaming of the moment when I take my GMAT, do well on it (he he!), and then return to this forum and post! Give back to the people, so to say. You guys have kept me motivated throughout this time, so -- thanks.

Some background: I'm not American, though have been living here for the past 5 years. English is not my native language. I did my undergrad in Europe (in Econ and Linguistics) and then grad school in the U.S. (Econ). GPAs 4.0 and 3.7. Am pretty good with both math (coming out of a very good school system) and verbal (degree in linguistics definitely helps!).

Started studying for GMAT 2 months ago. Scheduled the test almost immediately (I'm sort of running out of time here -- have about 1.5 months to write my essays and do other admissions stuff).

Study aides:
> Princeton Review GMAT overview (whatever is the most recent edition)
> OG 12th edition
> OG Math and OG Verbal, both second editions (never even opened the verbal one, though)
> Kaplan math overview (panicked last weekend and bought it -- shouldn't have; by then I already knew everything the book has to offer)

Tests taken:
> both official GMAT tests
> 6 MGMAT tests

I concentrated my efforts almost entirely on math. I went through the Princeton Review book, read everything about math and verbal, especially the test-taking strategies that they suggest, and did all of their intermediate and advanced exercises. A couple of weeks after I started studying, I took the two official GMAT tests, and scored >700 on both. I don't have the results with me now, but they were pretty close to what I got on the actual GMAT.

That was both encouraging and demotivating (had hard time getting myself to study, since 710 was pretty much my target score, and I scored above on both trial tests). However, right around that time I found this web site, and panicked a bit. It sounded like the questions on the real GMAT seem to be more difficult than the trial ones.

The following weekend I tried taking the MGMAT test just to see and compare. That drove my panic further -- the questions were much more difficult than what I've been working with. I think it took me something like 3 hours to finish the math part. I didn't even start the verbal on the first MGMAT. That was VERY discouraging, let me tell you! Though I think I still scored something like 43 or 45 on the math part of the test, but I totally failed on the time requirement.

So I started working with the MGMAT materials, reviewing every single question from the first test that I took, and simultaneously working my way through the OG Math book, starting from the last question in each section and working to the front (since the questions in the back tend to be more difficult).

From then on, I spent 2-3 hours each weekday studying math (mostly doing problems and reviewing the problem sets I already went through). On weekends, I took at least one trial test, both the math and the verbal parts. The following day, I made sure to review all problems from the math part of the test, and the problems that I got wrong form verbal. I took one MGMAT test with essays; figured out that writing essays before math does nothing for me in terms of stamina -- it actually sort of "warms up" my brain for the math part. So that was the single test that involved essays. All the other times I just did math and verbal.

I scored between 720 and 750 on all MGMAT tests, with results similar to my actual GMAT results. However, as weeks went by, my timing definitely got better on math (on verbal, I tend to finish up to 30 minutes early, so timing was not an issue there).

During the last week of the prep, I again went through the OG math questions that I got wrong/didn't know how to solve in the past, reviewed some basic concepts, reviewed MGMAT questions etc. I felt pretty prepared going into the test, but also worried because I didn't know what to expect (there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what's closest to the actual GMAT).

I took the weekend easy, studying 2-3 hours a day, but mostly resting and relaxing. I took Friday off work and took my final MGMAT test then, with very good timing and good results in both verbal and math.

My test was at 8 a.m., so I got up at 5:30, reviewed the materials again, had my usual breakfast and took off. I recommend following your regular morning routine on the day of the test: no need to surprise your body with anything new and unusual.

Everything went well at the test center; people were friendly, and there were no glitches. Wrote my essays, nothing to write home about, pretty boring stuff. We'll see how they came out. I hope they cut me some slack, since I'm not a native speaker :)) Went into math, started off OK. I was hurrying a bit, until I realized that the questions were not nearly as difficult as MGMAT, and it would usually take me under a minute to solve them. So was moving at a pretty leisurely pace. Double-checking my answers, etc. (not a luxury I was ever able to afford with MGMAT). That hurrying in the beginning, I think, cost me some points. I also slowed down quite a bit in the middle, so had to guess on the last question, was running out of time. Had just one permutations question (yes! I'm not great with permutations/probability) -- and got it wrong, as I now realize :) But otherwise, the questions were definitely more similar to the GMAT trial tests than to MGMAT. In any case, I got through it feeling pretty well about it.

Ran out for a quick snack, and then back to verbal. Had three reading passages, one very long (had to scroll down the screen), the other two OK. To my surprise, I was more tired than usual during verbal, and had a bit of a hard time concentrating. Some questions seemed difficult, though you can never tell with verbal. But generally, nothing out of the ordinary.

So, that's about it. Was pretty happy about the results (target score was 710), though I think I can do even better. I don't need to, so won't worry. I'm quite proud of my verbal score, quite good for a non-native speaker.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to getting rid of all my GMAT books. Anyone know of a place where I could donate them or something? I would happily trash/recycle them, but that's probably not socially responsible :)

Wow, this is a long post. Sorry, people! Hope you found it helpful. Let me know if you have any questions!

Good luck, and maybe I'll meet some of you in business school down the road!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by mike9950 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:49 pm
Hey congrats on the excellent score!

I'm preparing for my GMAT and these debriefings are super useful and motivating. What are the MGMAT tests and where do you get them? Are they CAT? Did you time yourself during studying or use any sort of score card to zone in on your weak areas?

Great job! You could try to sell those books on craigslist or eBay!

Mike

by unikatrin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:02 pm
Hey Mike.
Glad I could help -- I've been referring to this web site quite a bit during my studies, too.

MGMAT are Manhattan GMAT tests, and they are CAT. They offer one free test and then another 5 for something like $50.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/practiceCenter.cfm

I timed myself with both GMAT trial tests (75 min per section). On MGMAT, I timed all of verbal tests, and the last three or four math tests. The first two seemed super-difficult, and I wanted to concentrate on trying to solve the problems, rather than solving on time. But as I took more tests, I was able to come in within the time limit (I didn't do the per-question timing, just 75 min per section).

I did not use a score card for weak areas, as I was able to figure them out for myself pretty quickly. There weren't too many, so I was able to just keep them in my head. Also, MGMAT runs some stats for you after each test, so you can see how you are doing on different topics.

Good luck!
Katya

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by satish.nagdev » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:06 pm
Wow Katya great score, congrats....

your first post https://www.beatthegmat.com/compare-gmat ... 47232.html :D 750 on both GMATPreps you mentioned :D

amazing, all the best for your apps.

cheers,
Satish.
Wounded by GMAT but not dead

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Giorgio » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:09 pm
Gratz with the great Score!

What were your scores on Gmat Prep and MGMAT tests?

by unikatrin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:06 am
Thanks, guys! Here, I dug out my notes with test scores: I did them once a week on Saturday mornings.

GMAT prep 1 - can't find; I think it was 720.
GMAT prep 2 - 750, Q49 V42
MGMAT 1 - never mind, only did the math part, in three hours! Depressed here.
MGMAT 2 - 700, Q45 V40 (did math without a time constraint)
MGMAT 3 - 720, Q47 V41 (I think from here on I started keeping the time constraints on math)
MGMAT 4 - 710, Q46 V41
MGMAT 5 - 720, Q47 V41 (this one I did with essays)
MGMAT 6 - 740, Q45 V47
Actual GMAT - 720, Q47 V41

So well, I could do better on GMAT, but who cares. I trashed my notes yesterday, and am trying to figure out what to do with the books!