Ask a Stanford GSB Student

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Ask a Stanford GSB Student

by beatthegmat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:44 am
Want to talk to a Stanford GSB student about the GSB student experience? Ask here!

We're lucky to have two GSB representatives fielding your questions: Please note that this isn't a discussion thread (or forum) for application advice. It's meant for talking about life inside the GSB program.

A big thanks to our Stanford GSB volunteers!
Last edited by beatthegmat on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:22 pm
Seed question for Pepe and Tal:

What have you enjoyed most about your first year?

MBA Student
GMAT Score:760

by GSBee » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:41 pm
Excited to be the first GSB representative on the new forum :-)

I have to say that so far, the best part of the experience (for me at least) was my classmates.

They are, by far, the most talented and smart group of people I have ever met. They are also (luckily) super-friendly and funny and the small class size contributes to the fact that it sometimes feels just like high school. In a good way!

Sure, there were a lot of other things going on, from Condi Rice teaching in our Global Management class, through meeting the Director of the FBI and various other CEO's to weekly trips to HQs of companies around the Bay Area (Cisco, Google etc) but the best part for me is definitely the people who make this experience enjoyable.
Tal
MBA Student, Stanford GSB

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Thanks Tal for sharing that perspective. I may be biased (since I went to Stanford for undergrad), but I think that the GSB has some of the coolest people of any MBA program as well. The people seem very smart, very cool, and slightly irreverant.

MBA Student
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:720

by josercv » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:00 pm
Hey everyone!

I totally agree with Tal, the people are what make this school so great. Everyone is extremely friendly and approachable. This in turn makes classes much more interesting because everyone feels comfortable engaging the conversation. Everyone in the class makes significant contributions, and whenever someone stumbles along the way, people are always willing to help out.

I also like the fact that the school takes very seriously the role of leadership in today's organizations. Leadership is about service and understanding, and I value greatly that the GSB takes it upon itself to convey that message to us constantly.

The Stanford GSB in my opinion is much more than just a business school, it is fertile ground for leaders that care for people and understand the effect businesses have on societies and communities.
Jose "Pepe" Carrillo

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 pm
Thanks Pepe for sharing that! Doesn't sound like Stanford is very cutthroat, which is a perception that a lot of folks hold about top business schools. Impressive that a bunch of Type-A personalities are so nice to each other. :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Yes.WeCan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:10 am
I was curious as to how the recruiting procedures are organized at Stanford and how you have experienced them.

I've heard there's a lot of elbow work going on during recruiting events for the "traditional" MBA-exits: finance, consulting.

Stanford is definately one of the schools I'm targeting at, mainly due to its' small class size I have the feeling trips to company HQs etc are much more personal. That's what I heard at least.

MBA Student
GMAT Score:760

by GSBee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:31 pm
So..

1. Yes, we do a lot of traveling to companies and it is SO much easier for us especially with Tech, BioTech, VC duo to the proximity to campus and the strong ties with student clubs. during the past 3 weeks I hosted friends from MIT, HBS and Wharton who came here for a week of "meet the company" events on their own dime and time.

2. Recruiting - HBS and the GSB made a joint decision this year to push back the on-campus recruiting dates this year so the first round of interviews is starting February 10th and it's mostly consulting and banking. Personally, I think this is a great thing for us, especially the students who, like me, have no idea what they really want to do this summer.

3. Elbowing - sounds too good to be true but I haven't seen too much of this going around. Some people were up tight about talking to certain people when companies came to campus but after a week or two everyone realized that if consulting firm X is interviewing a 100 people and the class size is 380 there's really nothing to worry about. Bottom line - if you want to interview with a specific company and you focus your efforts on it, chances are you'll get your interview.

Not sure if it's the class size or the admission process but people seem to be very relaxed and positive about the whole job seeking process.
Tal

2009 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700+

Questions

by gkumar » Wed May 19, 2010 11:09 pm
Hello, I am interested in learning more about Stanford. I have several questions:

1) What attracted you to Stanford first over other top-tier schools?
2) Does Stanford have any industry mentoring program to get real world exposure to various careers within your academic specializations?
3) What strategy and financial consulting initiatives exist where you can get hands-on experience?
4) What's your favorite class so far and why?
5) For those interested in a career in finance or even Wall Street, how do you deal with recruiting at a distance from Chicago or New York, the typical major financial hubs?
6) When is the best time to visit campus? Is the summer time before Round 1 applications a good time?

Thanks in advance!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by abhishek1985 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:54 am
I have previously read about some complaints that Stanford is a little bureaucratic and rigid as compared to some other leading colleges. As an existing student- do you perceive anything on those lines...? for e.g say- If one feels that a new club can be started which would benefit students in a certain way, how conducive is the Stanford atmosphere in encouraging such an initiative?

- Abhishek

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mygman » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:59 pm
Hello,
I've got a question about Global Management Program.
How is the program conducted? What are the benefits of taking GMP? Can you briefly explain what types of students usually participate in the GMP?

by th3509 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
I see this thread is really old, but was wondering -- if there are any current Stanford Students still posting, do you have any recommendations on what to do in the months leading up to your MBA? Are there any recommended books or activities prior to attending that you think may maximize your experience while you are there? Any thoughts or insights are greatly appreciated!

by Illelopax » Sun May 19, 2013 3:35 pm
A personal coach's level of knowledge and experience is also a matter to be considered "We had this calendar up there and we looked at each other, you know, the very first day and said, 'You know what The clutch comes in soft black leather which is luxurious to touch and made from the thick, high quality leather that has made Coach Handbags famous coachonlineonsalee.com The staff can tell you if you over-pronate, supinate, etc The bags at the outlets are just as good as those sold in the botique so you don't have to worry about them being flimsy or breaking in a week A paradigm shift occurs in the managers who effectively commit to developing effective management skills
So he becomes, to his surprise in most cases, far enough along the Way, to be able to retrace his steps in order to assist others along the same path Each listen care-fully and respond appropriately; where both are able to understand, talk, and learn from each other Often an overlooked but powerful element in the development of learning power is the theme of relationships coachfactoryoutlettsd.com (And unfortunately, just because the seller claims it's authentic does not necessarily mean that it is) Day trips are available in Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, Fairbanks and the Yukon Territory Some people allow those events to break them and defeat their sense of purpose
In addition, lunchtime bus leaves Penn Plaza on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, and an early evening bus leaves on Fridays and Saturdays Sports Science - The study of sports science encompasses various subtypes of undergraduate degrees, many of which can lead to a career as a football coach Plus, how much impact can a defensive back coach truly have coach factory site If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional 747) and national championship rings (four since 1991 vs From Bath, you'll wind your way through Cotswolds, which offers awesome views of open, vivid countryside dotted with small market towns and architecturally impressive churches
One of the most beautiful trails I have been on, however, it is quite strenuous Involved in training students Life Skills, Leadership and Communications Skills The prices of their bags and accessories range from $50 on the lower end and up to $800 on the higher end Coach Factory The upside is that the more you're willing to spend, the more selective you can be So, for all you Ebay and Coach pros can you give me some tips please But he claims it's real and has a 7 day return policy
Image life as a game in which you juggle in the air five balls named work, family, health, friends, and spirit And all in the name of fairness because the dumb, underachieving, non talented demographic gets their wittle weelings hurt The ICC and WABC also provide an accrediting system for business coach training programs cheapest coach bags online By the way, it is pretty superficial to do thinks like this to be liked or admired So whatever you are looking for there is something to enjoy from city breaks, theatre breaks, theme park and adventure breaks to quite seaside locations David Urquhart Travel have it all The jewel tone colors are quite trendy, not to mention how popular stripes always seem to be
The thing is, it is important for you as a student as well as the coach You'll find unique styles and designs in these collars that you won't find anywhere else Serving everyone from the University of West Florida to the United States Army, the family operated Gulf Coast Tours serves Alabama, Mississippi and Florida with accommodating staff and state-of-the art buses coach bags coach outlet The new Madison Sophia jeweled satchel is grey and can easily be worn during the fall months as well as into the holiday season Arians says not being around the team is driving Pagano "crazy," but he feels much better being home The company travels to New York City every Saturday in November and December for $60 roundtrip, picking up in Ellicott City (near Columbia) and Cromwell Bridge, east of Towson

by lispr16 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:44 pm
Hi!

Are there any current Stanford GSB students monitoring this thread?

What is one advice you would give about the application process? Why did you choose to attend Stanford?