what's "540(Q 47, V19)" mean? Sorry, still new to

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi

Sorry about the naive question, but can someone tell me how to decipher this? I thought that maybe it was Quants but there's 37 questions and for Verbal there's 19 questions.

Thanks for the insight!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by cbenk121 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm
Means you killed the math relative to the verbal lol.

But seriously, both sections are out of 51. So as you can see, you performed much better in math than verbal.

Don't try converting how many you got right to a raw score...I'm sure the formula is complicated and depends on the properties of each question.

Instead, just try to get more right...particularly in verbal, that's really dragging your score.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:06 am
GMAT scores are reported in the following manner

XXX (Q ##, V ##)

the XXX stands for your total overall score. the max you can get is 800. most people try aiming for a 700 to be competitive at most top tier schools.

the "Q ##" is your section score for the math (quant). the max score you can get is 51 i believe. it does not mean the # of questions you got correct. it's possible to miss 1 or 2 (or more) questions and still get a 51.

the "V ##" is your verbal section score. the max is also a 51 i believe. again, it does not tell you how many you got write, but it's just a scaled score.

so in the example you gave, the total score is 540. The math section was a 47, and the verbal section was a score of 19, which is very low.
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7