610 (Q38 V36) on on test day. My lowest score.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
610 (Q38 V36) on on test day. My lowest score.

GMATprep practice test scores
Test1: 670 (Q44 V38)
Test2: 660 (Q37 V44)
Test3: 680 (Q43 V40)
Test4: 650 (Q39 V40)
Test5: 740 (Q45 V47)

I studied 4-6 hours/day for the last 5-6 weeks. I left my job to devote all my attention to the application process. My studying was all done from review books and several GMATprep tests throughout the 6 weeks. First I reviewed the kaplan and princeton review books cover to cover, then I worked through every problem in the official guide, highlighted difficult problems, and reviewed them repeatedly before my actual test. My biggest concern was keeping a proper pace. On my 2 lowest scoring practice tests I did not pace my self properly and had to randomly choose the last 5 answers.

On test day I felt prepared. I scored a 740 on a practice test the day before so I felt confident that I could score in the 670-710 range. During the actual test I keep a great pace and finished all the questions on time. But there were a few questions that I answered with educated guesses in order to keep pace. I felt good about my performance during the test but then I saw my scores.

I plan to take the GMAT again before I submit my applications. How likely is it that additional studying will help my score? I felt prepared when I sat for the exam today so I don't know what else I can do to better prepare. Is it possible that the 610 score was a bad day and that if I were to take the exam tomorrow I would score closer to my prep scores? This huge difference in scores makes me question how well the GMAT actually measures what it is supposed to measure.

What are my chances of a top 25 school with a 610?
Last edited by rick81 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:630

by raghavakumar85 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:48 pm
You've got a very good verbal score. If you can spend 2-3 weeks more again concentrating on your weak areas in quant, you'll definitely score more than 700. GOod Luck.