Run down by the GMATTruck

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Run down by the GMATTruck

by ikjeft001 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:35 pm
Hi...
This is my first ever posing to any forum(yes..any forum...I have never posted anywhere before)....

Back from the test center a while ago..kind of depressed...of course, I got a dismal 590(Q47/V25), an improvement of only 20 points from my last test(took that in Dec 2005). I am baffled, astounded, disappointed,shocked
and what not...I am looking for some harsh / constructive feedback as what could have gone wrong or what did I miss or what did I do wrong ?

Here is what I did :
I started my preparation for GMAT this May(2006) and joined the Kaplan classroom that month...did almost all of their practice questions(ok may not be 100% but around 95%). Kaplan has about 1000+ practice questions (online) for its classroom course. I also did 500+ additional Kaplan questions not connected to this classroom. Took practice tests at regular intervals as shown below :
5/2 Kap/Diag in the class 680(q44/v37)
7/4 Kap/Cat1 630(q48/v26)
7/30 Kap/Cat2 640(q46/v28)
8/20 Kap/Cat3 580(q40/v24)
9/10 Kap/Cat4 630(q44/v30)
9/14 Kap/Cat6 660(q50/v27)
9/17 Kap/Cat1 690(q52/v31)
9/21 Kap/Cat8 660(q49/v27)
10/1 GMATPrep1 600(didn't capture the score)
10/2 Kap/Cat5(@ Pearson Vue test center) 670(q48/v32)
(Didn't take the 2nd GMATPrep test)

I did 50-60 % of the OG (this past week). I did the Kap GMAT verbal workbook too...I used Eric's flashcard and Spidy's Grammar notes....I have visited this website many times and have tried some of the suggestions posted here, too ....

In spite of all these efforts, I couldn't even pass the 600 threshold....any idea, suggestions ? I know 2 of my greatest weaknesses : Nervousness in the test center and poor time management...
But in spite of these 2 weaknesses, I was able to score higher in the Kap tests...Are these (Kap's) tests flawed ? I would appreciate any comments, feedback, suggestions....

Note : I'll be out of town for 3-4 weeks starting next week...I really need a break...neglected my family, spent most of the Summer in my GMAT prep only to get a stinking score like this.

Thanks...

ikjeft001

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:25 pm
Hi ikjeft001:

Sorry to hear that your GMAT experience didn't meet your expectations.

With regards to Kaplan--normally those scores are severely skewed DOWN. Anecdotally, I've heard that people score 50-100 points higher than their Kaplan performance on the real GMAT.

I don't think your problem is knowledge of the material--like you said, it sounds like the root problem is nerves/time management.

When you took your practice tests, did you take them timed in a simulated testing environment?

My suggestion is to take more practice tests, but emphasize taking them in a simulated environment. I recommend a somewhat busy area of a public library.

Best of luck and stay confident! The GMAT is something you can certainly beat! Just get that timing down and be focused.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by jtsgmat » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:37 am
Looking at your test scores, it seems to you are well prepared in quant but verbal is a weak spot. I would suggest spending more time on your verbal preparation and that the preperation be focused soley on the official guide and the verbal workbook provided by GMAC. Another good idea is to be keep track of your errors so you can pinpoint your weak areas (i.e. sentnece correction, critical reasoning or reading comprehension).

by ikjeft001 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:54 pm
I took all the tests under simulated / timed environment/conditions...during many tests, my neighbours were mowing their lawn (during weekends)...so I did have ample disturbances during the tests...:(

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:21 pm
Have you looked into resources for controlling your nerves in high-pressure situations? From what you've described about your experience, I feel like you will gain the most improvement in your score by simply finding a way to keep focused and calm.

kaplan is not accurate? what about PR?

by flo821 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:47 am
hi.. first time i'm posting.. i keep reading that the Kaplan prep test are skewed. I have been using the PR computer test.. does anyone know if they are found accuarte? Anyone that has taken the real test and used PR? Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
flo821 wrote:hi.. first time i'm posting.. i keep reading that the Kaplan prep test are skewed. I have been using the PR computer test.. does anyone know if they are found accuarte? Anyone that has taken the real test and used PR? Thanks!
PR's scoring algorithm seems more realistic than Kaplan's--but PR's test questions are not perfectly representative of the real GMAT. Focus on OG and GMATPrep for real content.