SC - broken records(Manhattan Flash Card Doubt)

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
Hi All,

In the Manhattan SC flash cards available at:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/pdf/FlashC ... e_2009.pdf

page#91....

the sentence given is
"Since 1973, the record was broken eight times due to technology that advanced even more rapidly than commentators have predicted."

Flash cards say the above is wrong....because

"Using "since" necessitates the present perfect ("has been broken") to indicate an action that continues to occur over time. Similarly, since records are still being broken, technology is likely still advancing (thus we must use "has advanced").
Because the commentators' predictions occurred before the records were broken and are no longer in effect, the present perfect ("have predicted") is incorrect - past perfect or simple past must be used."

The same is corrected as

"Since 1973, the record has been broken eight times due to technology that has advanced even more rapidly than commentators had predicted (or simply "predicted")."

I have one doubt about the above explanation:

Can someone please tell why can't we have simple "advanced" instead of "has advanced"...why do we need "has advanced" to be necessarily there ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by scoobydooby » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:29 am
with since- present perfect is used to signal that something that started in the past is still continuing in the present

so presumably the the technology continues to advance and records continue to get broken. the advance in technology was not a one time event in the past.

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:19 am
scoobydooby wrote:with since- present perfect is used to signal that something that started in the past is still continuing in the present

so presumably the the technology continues to advance and records continue to get broken. the advance in technology was not a one time event in the past.
yes got it !!! thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:12 am
scooby - thumbs up.

i have noticed, though, that this flash card contains an error in the use of "due to".

note that "due to" is equivalent to "caused by". since you can't use "caused by" in this context, you can't use "due to" either.

i'll sumbit this for fixing.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:20 pm
lunarpower wrote:scooby - thumbs up.

i have noticed, though, that this flash card contains an error in the use of "due to".

note that "due to" is equivalent to "caused by". since you can't use "caused by" in this context, you can't use "due to" either.

Thanks a lot Ron !!!!

If there are any similar issues in Flash cards, then can you please point to a errata list(if it exists) so that we can correct the same in the flash cards and do not learn something wrong !!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:13 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:
lunarpower wrote:scooby - thumbs up.

Thanks a lot Ron !!!!

If there are any similar issues in Flash cards, then can you please point to a errata list(if it exists) so that we can correct the same in the flash cards and do not learn something wrong !!!
i submitted a list of possible corrections earlier this week, so there will probably be some corrected versions out decently soon.

the flash cards are an electronic file, so we will probably just update the cards themselves rather than putting out an "errata list".

i will say, though, that there are 2 incorrect cards in the geometry section.
* page 70, card 22, is insufficient because O does not have to be the center of the circle.

* page 72, card 26, is insufficient for exactly the same reason (again, O doesn't have to be at the center of the circle).

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:48 pm
lunarpower wrote: i will say, though, that there are 2 incorrect cards in the geometry section.
* page 70, card 22, is insufficient because O does not have to be the center of the circle.
Hi Ron,

Can you please tell why this is insufficient ? I guess there is only one angle that is possible to be 60 degrees.....when the the angle PSR = 30...then double of that angle with two other points as P and R has to be at centre of the circle ?

Please tell what I am missing here ?

Thanks
Mohit

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:04 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:
lunarpower wrote: i will say, though, that there are 2 incorrect cards in the geometry section.
Hi Ron,

Can you please tell why this is insufficient ? I guess there is only one angle that is possible to be 60 degrees.....when the the angle PSR = 30...then double of that angle with two other points as P and R has to be at centre of the circle ?

Please tell what I am missing here ?

Thanks
Mohit
the problem is that there are many other points that will also work, besides the center of the circle.

to get to these points, you'll have to move point O in a basically sideways direction. (in that picture, you would move point O up-and-left, or down-and-right.)

if, along with the 60 degree angle, you are given that PO = RO, then the point must be the center of the circle.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Nee » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:29 am
Hi Ron, if "due to" is incorrect, then what do you think should come at its place. Would "because of" be correct here???

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:45 am
Nee wrote:Hi Ron, if "due to" is incorrect, then what do you think should come at its place. Would "because of" be correct here???
that's exactly how i would write it.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:24 am
lunarpower wrote: the problem is that there are many other points that will also work, besides the center of the circle.

to get to these points, you'll have to move point O in a basically sideways direction. (in that picture, you would move point O up-and-left, or down-and-right.)

if, along with the 60 degree angle, you are given that PO = RO, then the point must be the center of the circle.
Hi Ron,

Thanks. But if this is the case then can you please why this theorem mentioned in Manhattan strategy guide is true ?

if an angle with one point on circle is of 90, then hypotenuse must be diameter....(basically converse of angle in a semi circle)..

why we cannot move points sideways there ?