Profile Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by rc_tup » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:09 pm
Profile Evaluation

Nationality : Indian

GPA - 76.15% with distinction in one of the good colleges in India.
GMAT - 730 (47Q,44V) (third attempt)

Professional Back ground
I have six years of work experience in Fortune 500 IT company. I started my professional career in india
and worked in India for about 2.5 years. I have been working in USA since then as a technical consultant in a top finance company.
I am a project lead for a team of 15 across three geographical locations. I actually started as the sole resource and then
built this team from 1 to 15.Involved in overall management relationship of the project engagement, delivery and client relationship.
I am now the primary liasion between technology and business and now involved in business analysis, project planing, resource allocation.

Undergrad : Prefect Hostel and organized few events in college.

Extra Curricular/others : Started an in house club in my company and placed at organization level.
Member of toastmasters.
Member of New York Cares .Have done volunteer work in local volunteer groups (not known internationally)
Editor of in house Newsletter.
Yoga enthusiast

Reason for MBA: I want to get the broader picture .My focus will be marketing and strategy.
Since I have an IT background would want to get into marketing and sales in technology companies.Microsoft,google etc would be my target companies.

Long Term :Get into tourism industry in India. In my opinion marketing knowledge will be beneficial for such a transition.

Schools I am targeting
R1 - Chicago Booth,Kellogg, Insead, Duke,ISB
R2 - Tepper, HKUST,Cornell, UCLA,Darden

Questions:
1. Please provide your feedback on the choice of schools ?
2. Do you think I can add or remove some schools in the list?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:21 am
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.

You have a strong background overall - good academics, excellent work experience that shows leadership, initiative and growth, and some international experience. Your community activity seems ok - you don't need to worry about some of the groups not being internationally known; the impact you have on an organization is more important than the renown of the organization itself. You seem to have a clear focus on your goal, which is great. Schools are a bit leery of career changers in this economy so you will really want to emphasize that this is a career expansion and shift, not a radical change. Basically, you need two specific areas of knowledge to achieve your goals - IT and Marketing - and you have one of them; business school will give you the other.

You do face the unchangeable demographic issue of being another Indian in IT, but as a woman you stand out from the crowd somewhat.

Your school choices seem very reasonable - some stretches (Kellogg) and several places at which you will be competitive. I can't suggest adding or subtracting because I don't know your goals and how much time you have to put towards the applications - someone who only wanted to attend a top school and could only fit in 3 applications has very different needs from someone who wants to strive for the best but still be fairly confident of getting in somewhere and has the time to complete many applications. But I do think this seems like a good list for you.

Good luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php