Manhattan GMAT vs. Veritas Prep

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Manhattan GMAT vs. Veritas Prep

by hariwon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:56 am
I'm deciding between Manhattan GMAT vs. Veritas Prep as self-study material... any suggestions/advice/experience with both/any of these?

Thanks!

by Citygirl » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:03 pm
I am currently taking the Manhattan GMAT online prep class and it's been super helpful so far. I am the type that needs a very strict schedule that outlines everything for me. I tried the self study for two months and got nowhere. Actually, my first two CAT tests were 420 and 460. After only a week with MGMAT, I took one of the CATs and got a 570. Not a bad jump after just a week of focused studying, right?

I have a friend who did both MGMAT and Veritas and she said that MGMAT was more relevant and useful for her.

I also have a friend who did a self study and beat the GMAT her first time taking it. She has always been great at these types of tests and can focus easily.

I highly recommend you figure out what your schedule looks like and how much guidance you think you will need. Good luck!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:750

MGMAT

by aiex99 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:14 pm
I would use Manhattan GMAT, though I've never tried Veritas. I started by studying with the OG and the Kaplan books. I took the test for the first time in December in 2007 and cancled my score. I felt that what I had been studying was completely different from the actual test.

I started studying again around April/May of this year with the same stuff, not really getting anywhere. In June I bought the Manhattan books and I noticed an improvement immediately. Though on their practice test i normally scored anywhere from 650-690, on the actual GMAT I got a 750.

Whereas many of these other GMAT companies focus on helping you narrow down answers or how to propertly guess, I think MGMAT actually teaches you the material in as much detail as possible yet it's easy to understand.

(I should be a MGMAT salesman)

Good luck!

by hariwon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:22 pm
I've been "casually" studying the GMAT for about a month - I have about 8 weeks left until my actual test sometime towards the end of November. Any advice on how I should structure my game plan?

I'm just working part-time so I do have a plenty of time for practice, etc.

It seems like MGMAT is definitely the popular one... not many people seem to have tried Veritas for some reason.

Thanks for all your responses!!!

by DonDraper » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:37 pm
I took the Veritas online course and it was really solid. The materials are a BEAST... 15 books that cover every one of the subjects on the test. They arrived like a 50-pound box of bricks at my doorstep. When they first arrived I was like "What have I gotten myself into?" but they were super thorough.

I used the books along with Veritas' self-study online course. I figured that would be all that I needed. Took it over three months and then took the GMAT and got a 720. Definitely worked for me.

I can't speak to what Manhattan offers, but Veritas was miles ahead of Kaplan, which I also investigated.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:540

by Perminology » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:30 am
I'm in the middle of taking Veritas and I would advise against it. Veritas is good as it creates its own curriculum, so I would order Veritas books just to expand your question base.

I took a prep course because my quant ability was very poor. I felt that Veritas did an overall poor job at giving you conceptual tools. When ever students would comment on this, the instructor would just say "You need to cover the fundamentals". Veritas does however do a great job on giving you strategies for RC and CR but overall, not worth the money I paid as I'm considering going for MGMAT really soon.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:16 members
GMAT Score:770

by Scott@VeritasPrep » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:09 am
Perminology wrote:I'm in the middle of taking Veritas and I would advise against it. Veritas is good as it creates its own curriculum, so I would order Veritas books just to expand your question base.
Hi Perminology,

I work for Veritas Prep, and was very concerned (and surprised) to hear about your experience. Please reply to this message and I'll work to make it right.

Can you tell me what city you're in?

Best regards,
Scott Shrum

Veritas prep is totally useless

by savetheearth » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:50 am
I agree with Perminology that Veritas prep instructors have been given talking points and if you ask them to explain the basics, they will ask you to
study the fundamentals. Duh! Veritas gives you garbage for $1600, stuff you can buy from companies like arco, 800score, etc. On top of that, they insult you with asking you to know the basics. The instructor may not know the basics themselves. The reports in Ripoff report will confirm the poor quality of Veritas prep training.
https://www.complaints.com/2009/february ... 203909.htm

https://www.ripoffreport.com/Tutoring/VE ... -4229f.htm

https://www.ripoffreport.com/Tutoring/VE ... -f8a8y.htm

Veritas prep is a hoax

by savetheearth » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:09 am
Scott Shrum knows that Veritas prep is a hoax. He was caught red handed posting a message as a customer in another forum and his company lies about instructor qualifications. Many of the trainers it hires have no MBA experience or have not taken the GMAT. They all have been given talking points and told to say, 'know your fundamentals' if you ask any questions. Check out the RIPOFF.COM report about this company by doing a Google search for VERITAS PREP LLC. Veritas prep is realy a hoax.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:46 pm
I normally do not step in on discussion threads like this, but I thought I'd share my two cents.

I've done business with Veritas Prep in the past, visited their offices, met their founders, met their course developers, met a few of their students (my friends who took their course), and even met Scott.

I can assure you that Veritas Prep is not a scam, but a serious GMAT prep company.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT Score:540

by Perminology » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:24 pm
They are not a hoax. They ARE a real company and provide lots of services. They've got their own question bases, lots of MBA admission seminars and friendly staff. My instructor was brilliant and could do any questions we threw at him even outside Veritas books. I was only being critical about teaching methods, curriculum, and the pace of the course which could be very fast or slow. That was it. I can't agree that Veritas is fraudulent.

by OGMATTERS » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:07 pm
This sounds like a classic case of someone who did not achieve his or her targeted 550 score.

Veritas Sucks

by nageswarkv » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:59 am
Hi guys,

My first disappointment in my goal towards GMAT top score as usual life is not easy and there is lot of BS out there.

I signed up Veritas even though whole world is raving about Manhattan just because instructor in my town Atlanta is more of fluff guy than stuff though he has aced in GMAT, neway, coming to the point, Veritas guys are supposed to shipp my books so I can attend my 3rd class, it is getting late, I was told to pay $16 towards 2 days, naturally, i preferred 2 days shipment and now it has been week to this day, my books are in transit and today i am supposed to attend the class, here is response i got when i asekd to send me soft copy of todays lesson,

"In lieu of having materials for tonight, I am confident that you will be able to share with another student and also take comprehensive notes from the whiteboard. Please also take advantage of the Veritas Prep on Demand lessons that you can access in your online TrueTrack account"

if I were to be content with sharing with somebody or online, i rather be happy to study myself or looking at youtube where there are excellent instructors posted videos on probablityy,gmat etc instead of shelling $1500 US dollars in this tough economy

I am so fucked up as it is draining me with lot of negative energy where i am supposed to be positive about whole GMAT process and it is especially tough for me as I have to juggle between personal and job and gmat preparation.

I am letting this out here, so people know before they pick up Veritas and make informed decision.

Official Company Rep

by Scott@VeritasPrep » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:46 am
savetheearth, I keep seeing your posts in multiple places and on multiple sites, yet you won't respond to my messages. Are we to believe that you are actually a Veritas Prep student?

There some companies that unfortunately choose to compete with us via anonymous, libelous message board posts, rather than by putting their energy into improving their product. We know who those companies are, and students continue to choose us because our GMAT prep works.

For anyone who is serious about their GMAT preparation, please contact me with any questions you may have.

Scott

Official Company Rep

Re: Veritas Sucks

by Scott@VeritasPrep » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:52 am
nageswarkv wrote:Hi guys,

I signed up Veritas even though whole world is raving about Manhattan just because instructor in my town Atlanta is more of fluff guy than stuff though he has aced in GMAT, neway, coming to the point,
Hi nagesarkv,

I'm surprised to hear about your bad experience. Please PM me and I will take care of this for you.

Best regards,
Scott