UChicago vs. Kellogg

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies

UChicago or Kellogg?

UChicago
42%
Kellogg
58%

Total votes: 36

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

UChicago vs. Kellogg

by beny » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:12 pm
Which school do you think is better all around? Ignore specific strengths/weaknesses (Chicago for finance, Kellogg for GM, etc.) and look at the overall picture. Which school is King of Chicago?

by jelt » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:21 am
what are we supposed to vote based on?

anyway, i vote chicago because

1) it's a very serious place and doesn't mess around. where else does fun come to die?
2) it's 20 minutes from downtown, evanston is an hour - an hour and a half. uchicago is way more fun

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Icemastr » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:09 am
1) it's a very serious place and doesn't mess around. where else does fun come to die?
2) it's 20 minutes from downtown, evanston is an hour - an hour and a half. uchicago is way more fun
Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? It is the place where fun comes to die yet it is way more fun?

University of Chicago and Northwestern are my two top choices, I would be happy with either one but would probably attend Northwestern if I was accepted to both schools, unless my wife is accepted to University of Chicago for her PhD. Other people may have other reasons for choosing one over the other. From my research here are some differences between both schools:
University of Chicago - academic challenge, strong in finance, open curriculum
Kellogg - collaborative atmosphere, strong in marketing, leadership opportunities

by jelt » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:54 pm
Icemastr wrote:
Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? It is the place where fun comes to die yet it is way more fun?

University of Chicago and Northwestern are my two top choices, I would be happy with either one but would probably attend Northwestern if I was accepted to both schools, unless my wife is accepted to University of Chicago for her PhD. Other people may have other reasons for choosing one over the other. From my research here are some differences between both schools:
University of Chicago - academic challenge, strong in finance, open curriculum
Kellogg - collaborative atmosphere, strong in marketing, leadership opportunities
lol. not really. the school wears the phrase as a badge of honour. "where fun comes to die" implies that it is academically extremely vigorous. You don't come here for "fun" classes or for a holiday, you come here to learn.

Having said that, being closer to all the fun in the city and up north makes GSB Chicago a more socially exciting place.

Lastly, Kellogg and uofc are extremely different schools. Like you said, Kellogg is extremely collaborative, and on the other hand UofC is a school that names its MBA brochure "Challenge Everything". Challenge (and be ready to be challenged by) your friends, professors, classmates, superiors. Everything. Which one you prefer is of course entirely up to you.

As a UofC alum, just wanted to share my $0.02 on what our school culture's like.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by yalephd2007 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:32 pm
In my eyes, UChicago is better. (More Nobel Prize Winners)