Tech Toys

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

Tech Toys

by sreak1089 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:03 am
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale. So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst's main assertion?

A) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.

B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.

C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.

D) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.

E) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:07 am
Is B the answer.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:08 am

by sanp_l » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:28 am
Option B seems correct.
Sandy

by gmatv09 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:44 am
Main point- "if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline. "

Hence answer - B

by sreak1089 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:57 am
Yes, OA is indeed B. But, I am not quite convinced. Why not C? I do not understand how answer choice B is right? B says "Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong", while the analyst's main point is that sale of new device should wait until the sales of old devices are declining.. Option B seems to be directly opposite to analyst's main point.

Could you please clarify my confusion..

by hitmewithgmat » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:16 pm
B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
Yes, read carefully.
"But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale. So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device,...---->If media outlets do not report, then how do we know it can backfire?

C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
There is no statement whatsoever regarding "superiority" Inference question is strictly based on the given statement.

hope this helps.
Disclaimer-I am not a GMAT savvy yet, but I am learning everyday with my fellow beatthegmat citizens.

I AM DETERMINED TO CRASH/NIX OUT/ATTACK BRUTALLY/CRACK VERBAL PART OF GMAT. ROAR!

by M09 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:07 pm
One more thing I thought of that the argument indirectly tells that consumers believe that new technology will be much superior than the existing one.So, thats the reason consumers move to the new tech.

Now as per above reasoning consumers can determine whether new technology is superior to current technology or not.

So option C is invalid.
what do yo think hitmewithgmat ??

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:19 am
M still confused how to pick B. :(

by NikolayZ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:35 am
vaibhav.iit2002 wrote:M still confused how to pick B. :(
OK. Let's do it step by step :)

Analyst's main assertion is that in order to get the maximum profit from its sales, company should not get their plan on introducing new device revealed.

A) Irrelevant to the analyst conclusion since the (initial introduction and therefore)surge still WILL take place, even if the company will wait until the purchases of an older product start to decline.

B) If mass media possess info about introduction of new device, the readers or viewers are likely to stop purchasing old device in order to buy a newer model. Correct, if company announces their plans, mass media will definitely provide this information to customers.

C) Irrelevant

D) Irrelevant

E) Irrelevant =)