Wait another year to apply for 1st round?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Wait another year to apply for 1st round?

by ketnet1 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:06 am
Hi,

I took my gmat end of September, but did not get at least a 550. I wanted to apply to schools such as Santa Clara U, Boston U, and University of San Francisco. My plan was to get at least a 560 and start the application process and essays during the last week of September and October in order to send out the applications by the school's deadline, which are in November. But just by GMAT standards, my gmat score is not even close to the mean, in addition, it is not even in their 80% range. Despite the fact that I was determined to apply this year (becasue I don't want to wait another 2 years to physically go), it seems like I have to face reality- 1) Take a break 2) Start studying for GMAT again 3) Retake test next year. Please advise if my decision is a good one and whether I should even try applying for University of SF this year? (Assuming I can put application package together all within 1.5 months). Thank you very much for the input.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:09 am
Hi - is there a particular reason you're not interested in applying in R2? That still gives you time to re-take the GMAT and then work on your applications. I would not encourage a R3 application, but there is not a significant difference between applying in R1 and R2 - especially if you factor in being able to submit a higher quality application in R2. For Boston University, the R2 deadline in January 15, which seems to give you sufficient time.

If you are committed to applying only in R1, then you can certainly try to rush an application and GMAT for a November deadline; you can always decide before submitting that it's not of a quality you like and can then decide on R2 or next year's R1.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php